19 - Lola: Introducing Chelsea

An unfamiliar car pulled up outside the house, and I tilted my head curiously as Chelsea stepped out. Ryder must have borrowed his mum's car to drive her here.

How was it possible that everybody was up so ridiculously early?

Venturing to the door, I ran my fingers through the tangles in my hair, trying to make myself look just a little more presentable. Nobody should be subjected to the sight of me in a morning. It took at least half an hour to make me look even remotely human-like, and lots and lots of coffee.

I opened the door before she had the chance to knock, and my eyes narrowed against the light suddenly streaming in.

"I'm sorry, we're a little behind schedule." I laughed and gestured for her to come in, looking down at her outfit in embarrassment. She'd only just left hospital and she looked more put together than me. I was still in my pajamas for crying out loud, a black tank top and shorts that were slightly too small and pinched in the hips.

Chelsea stepped inside nervously, walking through to the living room after slipping off her shoes in the hallway. I shut the door behind her, only to groan in annoyance when someone knocked again just mere seconds later. Chelsea peered back around the lounge door curiously as I reopened the door.

I froze on the spot as Ryder looked me up and down with a smirk.

"Chelsea's bag" he grinned, never once breaking eye contact as he lifted up the handbag and hung it from his index finger. I almost laughed at the image, but somehow the ridiculous accessory seemed to make him look more masculine than ever in comparison. How on earth was that even possible?

"Cute pjs Lo."

I blushed at the compliment and took the bag from him, nibbling at my lower lip. His eyes darkened in response.

"Thank you." I smiled shyly.

"Hey, stop spying on your brother. He's a big boy. He can take care of himself."

Claire's voice echoed from the back of the house, and Ryder and I both turned in the direction of the source to see Chelsea peering around the doorway in the lounge. She blushed at being caught out as Ryder raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah Chels, I can take care of myself."

She turned on her heels, venturing further into the house and I heard Claire's voice greeting her.

"Hi! I'm Claire. This is Anna. You already know Lola and you must be Chelsea. Hi."

Her excitement could overwhelm even me at times, and I'd known her since we were five. Anna's quieter 'hi' could barely be heard.

"I think your sister needs saving from Claire." I told Ryder, whose shoulders shook with silent laughter from overhearing Claire's introduction.