08 - Lola: A Date with the Player

Stepping out of the shower, I wrapped myself in a towel and pulled my hair up into a messy bun before walking back into my room. Mark lounged on the bed, flicking through a magazine. How he couldn't find something more interesting to do was beyond me.

What guy would willingly read an old hair magazine when there were perfectly good books on the shelf right next to him? Claire bustled around the room, grabbing shoes and clothes from various drawers and wardrobes and laying them out on the bed around him.

I couldn't help but envy Anna, who'd chosen simply to sit this one out. Claire's fussing drove her crazy, even though she was exactly the same when it came to her schoolwork. Everything she'd ever done in class was filed away in labelled folders, organised by topic. Her bedroom was like an overly efficient work office, much like Claire's closet.

Grabbing my hair brush from the desk, I yanked the bobble from my hair before pulling it through the strands, shaping it around my face.

"Take your time why don't you?" Claire sighed in mock annoyance.

"Mark, she needs to change." He didn't look up from the magazine, but I could see his mouth curl up at the corners in amusement.

"I don't mind."

Raising her eyebrows, there was no need for Claire to say anything. She'd mastered the scary 'do what I say or else' look years ago. Being the second child, she'd really had no choice but to stand her ground from an early age. Mark mimicked her expression, and the air between them sizzled as they stared each other down. Finally, Mark stood with a sigh, dropping the magazine onto the duvet and loping out of the room. Claire smiled in victory, cheeks flushed.

I chuckled as she slammed the door behind him, and Claire spun around, her eyes lit up with excitement. Sometimes, I have to wonder whether she sees me as an actual friend, or just a dress-up doll.

"So, where's he taking you? Are we going, daytime casual or evening sexy?" She narrowed her eyes, pouting dramatically in a model pose and I laughed at her ridiculous enthusiasm.

"I don't actually know, he never mentioned."

She rolled her eyes at my hopelessness and I smiled sheepishly.

"I have his number." Mark's voice drifted through the door.

"You could call him and find out."

Claire tutted in annoyance and opened my door, glaring at Mark and snatching the phone from his outstretched hand.

"Thank you." He grinned at the reluctance of her voice, and nodded politely.

"Now this time, go away." She snapped, but her tone wasn't quite as harsh this time.

He smirked, as if sensing the weakness and her expression hardened again as she began to count.