14 - Lola: Meet the Parents

Ryder had spent a good part of the evening trying to teach me how to ride the god-forsaken bike, and I was still as awful at it as I had been the first time.

I clambered off the vehicle once again with a sigh and he laughed at my expression.

"Let's try another approach." He suggested and I slid back onto the bike with a roll of my eyes. Jogging over to wear I stood, he slipped on behind me. His legs wrapped around mine, his hands swamping mine on the handlebars. His warm breath brushed against my skin as he whispered instructions in my ear.

"Press that button there, and then twist this towards you."

Following his directions, I jumped in shock when the bike lurched forward under me. I tried again, and it rumbled to life beneath us. Ryder continued to mutter in my ear, and the bike started to crawl forward slowly. Speeding it up, I grinned widely as the wind rushed past my face.

Careful not to get too carried away, I pressed down gently on the brakes and we came to a halt.

"That was friggin' amazing!" I yelled as I hopped off the seat. Ryder nodded in agreement as he slipped off behind me, even though it must've seemed like nothing compared to how he rode.

"You look really good in my jacket you know." I blushed at the compliment and he leant down, kissing me lightly before pulling away with a frown.

"I've never kissed anyone with a helmet on before... It's not easy." I laughed, reaching up to remove it and kissing him softly before slipping on the bike behind him.

He placed his hands on the handlebars to go, but I stopped his arms in mid-air.

"Wait - Not yet."

Kissing softly up his jawline, I wrapped my arms around his waist, gently tracing circles on his lower stomach. He moaned softly and I climbed over carefully until I was straddling him, and kissed him roughly before returning to the back of the bike.

"Now you can go."

"Like hell." His voice was little more than a growl as he spun around, sitting it what looked to be an extremely uncomfortable position as he crushed his lips to mine.

Eventually, he got around to driving me back to the clearing we'd started at, when his back began to vibrate. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as the buzzing grazed my thighs. He chuckled as he pulled the bike to a stop at the side of the road and pulled his phone from his pocket.

His expression immediately hardened as he glanced at the screen, and his voice was cold as he raised it to his ear.

"Father,"

An almost inaudible mumble came over the other end of the line, and his face paled, his eyes hardening before he hung up.

"What's wrong?" I asked hesitantly and he looked up at me, his expression so cold I flinched.

"Chelsea."

There was no need to say any more than that. I took a deep breath and nodded, unsure what else I could do. He climbed back on the bike, and it seemed for a moment like he was going to drive off alone, but he didn't. His eyes softened slightly as he looked my way again, vulnerability creeping in bit by bit. I clambered on, staring at the back of his head worriedly as we rode to the hospital. He didn't deserve this.

We pulled up in the hospital car park and ran to the reception desk in record time. If coach had seen me run like that in class last year, I would have passed no problem. Hell, I'd probably have been promoted to leader of track team.