3

Song: Mary Jane's Last Dance - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

"Rise and shine princess."

Someone was kicking my foot.
Fuck. Someone was kicking my foot.
I was in a bad shape. I looked dead right? They don't like eating rotten meat. What if I just lay here?

"I know you're awake genius." It's a woman. I could take a women.

Fuck. I couldn't. Not with that in her hands.

"Woah easy now! Didn't your mother ever tell you to not point weapons at people?" If I could get that bow off her I could throw her out of the tree.
Jesus, we're in a tree, looking over the edge, yeah, we're pretty high up, my vertigo was one glance off kicking in.

"No, she's dead."

Blunt alright. Granted was probably a stupid question.

"Right, sorry about that. Look can you put the bow down and let's just talk." Raising my hands up in surrender, maybe fighting wasn't the best call when I most definitely could not walk right now.

"Not a chance. I'll put it down when I want to." She was a piece of work.

"My name is Henry. What's yours?" What if I flirt? God do I even remember how to flirt? A guide on how to talk your way out of death would have been very useful before I came out here.

"It's not important. Non of that shit is. You a blood boiler?" Oh fuck you. Do I fucking look like one.

"No. I'd rather die than run with their sort." Hopefully my face showed my disgust enough, everything hurt to move. My pants were ripped where the stab wounds were... she's patched me up?

"Might get your wish sooner rather than later..."
She readjusted her grip on the bow stretching out her chest, that was a strong weapon she's been holding it for a few minutes now, her arms must be on fire. She was a slight little thing. Maybe if I took out her legs first.

"Look, let's start over. I'm not going to hurt you." In my most non threatening voice I could muster, I was hunched in a weird position, Jesus my back aches. Why did my arm pits burn, I took my eyes off her to inspect them, wincing at the touch.

She let out a sharp scoff.

"Yeah keep dreaming... I'm not the one on the wrong end of an arrow." Her eyes travelled to the strange friction burns across my chest.

"They're rope burns. Not the least bit curious how I managed to haul your fat ass up here?" Ouch. I noticed she had matching burns on her hands.

"You're a real charmer huh?" I pushed my self up properly, she followed my movement her aim staying true to its mark, just over my heart.

"What's the point in being polite anymore." Fair point.

"Guess you're right but I'm really not going to go anywhere in this state am I? Thank you by the way for saving me." I looked back up to meet her eyes she screwed her face up, she was trying to figure me out.

"You move I'll gut you like a fish. Got it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

***

The silence was painful, we were hold up in the heart of some twisted cedar tree, a bloody big one at that, we were at least 200ft up. It looked like those red trees up in California. She's carved out a hole in the side of it big enough to shelter in. I was grateful she'd shoved me in it, than let me sit out on the branch. She perched like a bird, ready to fly off at a moments notice.