21

Songs: Sister Rosetta (Capture the Spirit) - Noisettes, If You Can't Hang - Sleeping With Sirens, Hold on I'm Comin - Sam and Dave.

She moved like a panther.

Smoothly pulling herself up the rope, she rose to around the same height as the bigger one. She placed both feet on the bark and pushed away from the trunk, her hair caught the breeze, her face grave, she was gorgeously fierce... braced for battle.

With acrobatic grace she swung out in a wide curve, mid air she made a loop with her line, landing on his shoulders she pulled the cord tight around his throat. The thing thrashed with the rage of an animal caught in a snare.

She looked so tiny perched atop a monster.

The swift move took seconds, she was clinical, cutting herself free from the line she lurched to one side wrapping her right leg around his neck. Grabbing her ankle she threw her body weight backwards crushing his windpipe. The rotter made gurgles and grating screeches I'd hear them in my nightmares, its missing jaw had left a gaping fleshy mess behind, it was hard to believe the thing had ever been human.

Her thigh muscles strained at her locked grip, it let out a hellish scream as she plunged her knife into the things eye socket hooking it like a fish on a line.

Then she rode that thing like a bucking bronco.

The two little ones lit up like wild cats, opening their mouths to grotesque angles they cried out in rage, both trying to jump up and claw at her. The small girl began to climb up his body while the other rotter received a back hand from the big ones erratic movements.

All three monsters focused on her.

I made my move rushing forward, grabbing the little rotter by the back of its neck, I wrenched it off. Its boney fingered grip ripped the orange puffer fabric, stuffing exploded everywhere. I jammed the bowie knife straight through its skull right to the hilt, the tip protruded under her little chin. The wet crunching noise churned my stomach as the struggling demon stilled hanging limp in my hold.

"HENRY!" She yelled out as she grabbed onto the excess line, her weight not enough to hang the creature.

She stood out two feet planted on his spine. It's panicking arms flew backwards in vain, its size and clothing restricted its reach. She was near enough surfing the fucking thing as it spun around attempting to throw her off.

Dropping the corpse I wrenched the bowie out, running towards her I grabbed her left leg as she kicked him forward with her right. He stumbled and she let out a pained grunt, she took the strain of holding onto the rope as I pulled backwards. The giant corpse fought me pulling away from the noose. We were just barely winning, the tip of his boots churned up pine needles his only contact on the ground. His bloody decomposed fingers ripped at the rope strangling his neck. Bubbled gurgles escaped its lips the thing was rabid.

***

The smaller rotter had recovered, it rushed Henry tackling him to the ground, I let go of the line just in time as the big bastard hit the ground. The rope whistled through the equipment, the line fell covering the monster in tangles of thick climbing rope, that would keep it occupied.

"Little help over here?!"

"Hold on, I'm coming!" I snapped.

I dived for our kit snatching my bow, turning I saw the fucker had Henry by the collar of his shirt, pinning him to the floor, its jaws clenched around his knife. He was putting up a good fight holding it above him as it attempted to rip out his throat. Shame he was using only one of the three brain cells he owned, Henry had hold of either end of the large knife... it bit into his palm, he let out a howl.

"Amateur."

I loosed a carbon arrow into the lumberjacks eye socket as I ran, it fell back. I swore the ground shook with the impact.

"What did I fucking say! No Blood!"

"I was trying not to get bit!" He grunted out through a clenched jaw.

The starved thing went into overdrive at the smell, its screeches ripping through the trees, it broke Henrys hold rearing back to pounce down on him. Using my bow as a driver, the moment the metal connected with the corpses skull it cracked open and flew off him landing a few feet to the side.

The thing was lightning fast as it threw itself forward, coming straight back for more. Henry lined up his mark and drove his brass covered knuckles at an impressive speed, hitting home caving its skull in. Henry was covered in black brain matter, the sack of shit collapsed to the ground.

The only noise was mine and Henry's heavy breathing. The forrest had stilled like it recognised the horror show.

"Did I ever tell you how much I hate zombies?" Henry's boyish smirk broke the tension.

"Zombie is such a corny name." I couldn't help but smile back.