5

Song: The World Spins Madly On - The Weepies

I'm going to kill her. She's infuriating. I'm the adult and she treats me as if I'm a toddler.

I sat determined to sulk the rest of the day watching her, I don't know if this is her daily routine but she rummaged and catalogued every supply she had in a beat up pocketbook. Smart I'll give her that but completely neurotic. She wouldn't keep the tinned food in the same bag as the dry preserves because she didn't like her jerky 'too smooshed and taste tinny'. She refused to let me better organise her 'fix it kit', the tangle of different yarns, wires and ropes rubbed me the wrong way. And the way she just threw all her random tools and gadgets in one bag to clank around together drove me insane.

"You'll blunt that chisel and scissors having them smash against all that crap."

"Well they've been fine up to now." She wouldn't take any constructive criticism or help, and flat out refused to listen to my suggestions of getting rid of the useless bits and bobs.

"Everything is useless until it finds its purpose." That's probably the first positive thing I've heard her say in our first conscious 24h together. It still pissed me off.

"Right I'm going to go down and scout the area, there's a cabin not too far from here. I did most of the leg work while you were busy napping."

"Dying. I was literally busy trying not to die."

"Well done you're alive. For now." I just hummed in response.

"Whatever, if we're clear we move to the next tree, then on to the cabin. If not we stay put."

"Why do you stick to the trees?" Genuinely intriguing as it wasn't an easy task, it was hard work physically and mentally. I felt sick every time I looked down.

"They're home for me now." She looked at peace up here.

She was small but in great shape, she had defined, strong muscles, which explained she's experienced with that bow. She made light work of the climb down. Making the deadly height look like a child's play, it was fascinating to watch.

How in hell am I going to get down.

***

We were moving bases, there were too many survivors for the government to handle. Poverty was rife and disease spread like wildfire. Most of the good people had turned sour; once honest farming families fought and gambled between each other, no land to keep their hands busy.

It was getting harder to stay out of trouble. I signed us up without asking her.

"Morning honey, did you manage to trade? I got us some eggs."

"Eggs!! I haven't had them in months what did you do!" Her worried stricken face broke his heart she was a gentle soul, she doesn't deserve this life.

Her light blonde hair always caught the sun just right, she was an angel. My first love.

Straight from high school I knew I had to marry her.

She was a pastors daughter but hell she sometimes didn't act like it. Her temper kept me grounded, her sweetness kept me hooked and I would do anything to give her the world. From 16 to 30 she was the centre of my universe. Rebecca.

In groups of 200 we would travel between Little Sandy State Penitentiary Kentucky all the way to Torres Unit in Texas. It was a long stretch and not everyone made it.

We'd had reports of successes people touching down starting a new life out there, with more cell space, better supplies, plenty food and less fighting.