RHYS

A/N Sorry ahead of time. This chapter is boring and short. But it has some exposition and sets up our bag guys for the rest of the story. Thanks for reading anyway! 

Rhys swung open the door to the Observational Room. It was abandoned. Except for a lone Doctor, hunched over the control panel. Doctor Kirk stared at the flashing coloured dots. The computer screen had a map of Okuura and the surrounding area. The Elemental Tracker was working perfectly.

Due to overthinking, Kirk scrunched together his thin eyebrows. Doctor Kirk hated when anyone interrupted his thoughts. But Rhys wasn't scared of the Doctor.

"I've received word that the Master of Lightning has been captured," Rhys said. Doctor Kirk sighed. He closed his eyes to finish his thought. Then he turned to face Rhys.

"This Elemental Tracker is phenomenally useful," Rhys continued. There were two dots on the screen. A blue dot- indicating the Master of Lightning- and a white dot- indicating the Master of Ice. The blue dot was located near the edge of Hiroshi's Labyrinth. Rhys frowned at the location of the white dot. It was in Okuura.

"The Master of Ice has arrived," Doctor Kirk said.

"That changes things," Rhys said.

"I've thought about this. This isn't to our detriment," Doctor Kirk said, "That Master of Ice is a nindroid."

Doctor Kirk types on his computer and brought up live security footage of the Master of Ice sneaking into the village. He wasn't alone. Someone with a green gi was with him. The Master of Energy was present as well.

"A nindroid?" Rhys repeated. He never heard of the word before.

"A very well-known Ninjago thing. Especially since one of Ninjago's own protectors is one. Basically, it's a computer." Doctor Kirk had conducted research into the culture of Ninjago. He always had a twisted curiosity toward their prison. Sometimes Rhys wondered if Doctor Kirk was too obsessed with Ninjago.

"I see," Rhys said, "We'll have to bring the Master of Lightning in through the tunnels. I'll call the pilots... Could you do your experiments down there?"

"Not all of them," Doctor Kirk said, "But enough."

"Very well," Rhys said, "It's settled, Brother."

Doctor Kirk stared at the screen, obviously bothered by the presence of the ninja. The two ninja snuck around a house, heading towards the gate to the compound.

Rhys didn't think the ninja would be able to find the entrance to the tunnels. As long as the ninja never found the Master of Lightning, then they could stay in Okuura as long as they wanted.

The green ninja, peeked around a corner, put his hand to his ear, and said something.

"They are communicating with the other ninja," Doctor Kirk said.

"Do you think this is a trap?" Rhys said. Doctor Kirk rubbed the back of his neck.

"I wouldn't rule it out," Doctor Kirk said, "They are the Famed Protectors of Ninjago, after all. I'm sure they didn't become as such by rolling over whenever they faced an obstacle."

Rhys didn't realize the ninja could be a threat. Perhaps he underestimated how organized they were. And their intelligence. If they found the tunnels, all his work would be for naught.

"I care nothing of Ninjago. And it appears my indifference allowed us to underestimate these ninja," Rhys said. Doctor Kirk fixed his eyes on the Master of Ice. He had a wistful gleam in his ebony eyes as he stared at the so-called nindroid.

"What do you suppose we do?" Rhys said, breaking Doctor Kirk from his daydream.

"I'm sure I can rig a device that ceases all communications in the village for five minutes. If I could get the Master of Ice, incapacitated and alone, in that time frame, the ninja won't be a threat to our research any longer."

"And how will you pry him from the Master of Energy's side?"

"I have a plan, that may not be to your liking," Doctor Kirk said. Rhys put his hand on Doctor Kirk's shoulder.

"I trust you, Brother," Rhys said.

"Our Master of Lightning is the perfect tool to separate them."

"We can't risk losing him," Rhys said, regretting trusting Doctor Kirk.

"We won't," Doctor Kirk said, rising to his feet, "I need to talk to Soren. Allow us to handle this situation."

Rhys looked down at the screen. The two ninja were creeping through the gate.

Doctor Kirk turned off the monitor, forcing Rhys to meet his eyes.

"Alright Brother," Rhys agreed, "What do you need from me?"

Kirk typed rapidly on his keyboard. Upon Doctor Kirk's command, the far wall of the room displaced, leaving an opening to the tunnels. Both men retreated into the tunnels.

"Prepare the trucks," Kirk said to Rhys, "We need to build a Lightning Rod."

"Anything else," Rhys said, as he began to slide the secret door shut.

"Let a draft in," Kirk said. Rhys sighed and submitted. He left the tunnel open a crack. The small beam of light from the Obersavaional Room illuminated the steps down into the tunnels.

One day, Rhys was going to regret letting Doctor Kirk have whatever he asked for.