Chapter Fifteen

As we walk back toward the carriage, Jace laughs and slings his arm around my shoulders. "Desi, are your brothers going to tease me like this too?"

"Of course they are. Even more relentlessly. So get ready for it," I say, turning my body into his and placing my palm on his chest, peering up into his face.

I'm playing the game, letting my parents see our affection in action, but I can't help but feel guilty; when I come back home for good without Jace, my mother and father are likely going to be very disappointed. 

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you're going to enjoy them giving me a hard time."

"I have to admit; it's fun to see you get all flustered. It's not like it happens that often, so it's sort of like seeing a shooting star or something."

"Trust me, you get me flustered too," he murmurs, so quietly, I almost don't hear him.

"What did you say?"

"I—"

"It's almost time for dinner, so we better get back to the house," my father interrupts, and I could strangle him. "Jace, did you know that Desi gets irrationally angry when the family is even five minutes late for dinner?"

Before Jace can answer, I laugh out loud and say, "When's the last time anyone was just five minutes late for dinner? I'd be thrilled with five minutes instead of twenty!"

Jace flashes a million-watt smile with dimples and all. "That must be why we get along so well. I have a thing for punctuality too."

"Just another reason you're good for each other," Mother says and climbs into the carriage.

I turn my face to the side and cringe. Our plan is working too well. My mother is practically etching our names into the his-and-her items she will buy for our home. I wouldn't be surprised if she is imagining what her future grandchildren will look like. I'm going to hate breaking her heart when I don't return with an immortal Jace in two months. Fuck.

The ride back to the house is full of lively conversation between Jace and my father, but Jace remembers what I told him before we left my room; he doesn't take his hand off me the entire time. He's either holding my hand and running his thumb over my knuckles or gently squeezing my thigh. When we pull up to the front door, Jace helps me out, and we head to the dining room. Surprisingly, all six brothers and their partners are waiting for us.

"Well, I'll be damned," I say as I gesture to my seat, where another chair has been added for Jace. He pulls it out for me, and we sit. "I can't believe all of you are actually on time."

"Of course we are," Avaros says, winking at me from the other side of the table. "When Lux came back and told us how positively delicious your man was, we all wanted to be here to get a look as soon as possible." His gaze travels up and down Jace's form. "He wasn't wrong."

My and Jace's cheeks turn the same shade of red. "Oh, for fuck's sake," I mutter. "Please stop it."

"He's right, Des. I could eat him up," Mandis chimes in.

Grub crosses his arms and pouts. "What about me?"

"Do not worry, my succulent little swine. I can gorge on both of you."

"All right," I say with a clap. "Let's try to pretend we are a normal family for just one meal."

Jace meets the gaze of each of my brothers and says, "I'm flattered, but I think I already chose the sibling I like best."

My lips turn up into a smile and I slide my hand into his under the table. "Yeah? Well, that works out because I'm pretty sure she kind of likes you too," I say, leaning over and planting a kiss on his cheek, pushing back the fluttering wings in my belly.