Chapter Eighteen

"Did you have fun?" Cannon asks as he unlocks the door to the house and steps aside so I can walk over the threshold.

"I did. The orchestra played beautifully. I loved the contrast between the current music and the string instruments," I say, kicking my heels off and leaving them in the middle of the foyer just to piss Jace off. He still hasn't spoken to me since the other night when he stormed out of the house like a toddler.

Cannon does the same as me and grins as he wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me against him. "Looks like I'm rubbing off on you, huh, princess?"

I wince. Princess. That's Jace's name for me. I don't like it coming from someone else.

"Shit. Sorry, that's what Jace calls you. I didn't mean to—"

I shake my head. "No, no don't apologize. It's just that he hasn't spoken to me since the other night. He's so mad at me, and I don't understand why. Hearing that just made me—it just made me think of it again and I hadn't all day because I'd been with you, that's all."

It was partially true. Hearing princess did make me think of Jace, but I hadn't forgotten that he hadn't spoken to me; it had been on my mind since the moment he slammed the door.

"I get it." Cannon leans down and kisses me, his lips feather soft against mine. "Listen, I have to be up early for work tomorrow. Is it okay if I—"

I nod, probably too quickly. "Yeah, yeah, of course," I say. "I'm tired too. We'll catch up later this week. Thanks for today. It was fun."

"Anytime, Desi," he says, and with a quick peck on my cheek, he disappears into his room.

With a sigh of relief, I head toward my bedroom, but I stop at the top of the stairs and turn in the direction of Jace's door, where a strip of light shines underneath.

I close my eyes and steel myself, smoothing down the satin fabric of my black cocktail dress. I am sick of this shit; Jace and I had made so much progress in our friendship, and when we left Infernis, I considered him my best friend. And now, for what seems like no reason, he's icing me out. I'm done letting it slide. This ends now.

I knock on the door but don't wait for a response before barging in.

"Jace, do you want to tell me what the fuck is going on?" I ask, letting the door shut behind me before marching over to his side of the bed, planting my hands on my hips. "Why you stormed out the other night, haven't spoken to me since...I'd love an explanation right about now."

From his place reclined on a mountain of pillows, he lowers the book he's reading. He doesn't so much as flinch at my outburst, but in monotone answers, "It would appear you're barging into my room. I felt stressed and needed to clear my head. And I've been putting the finishing touches on my proposal for Edmonds. All is answered. Make sure you shut the door on your way out."

I bark out a laugh. "Aw, fuck that. I call bullshit of the highest degree. You were fine before Cannon came down. We were having a lightsaber duel, laughing and joking, and you were even pushing me to go out with him. Like you always do. Then you stormed out into the 20-degree weather with no jacket? Yeah, no. Bullshit. And the finishing touches on a project has never stopped you from at least saying good morning to me." I plop down on the bed and cross one leg over the other. "Try again. I'm not leaving until you tell me what the hell is really going on."

Jace removes his glasses and sets them on his nightstand. He rubs his temples like just my presence is giving him a headache, but I know that's not the case. He's fuming because I'm confronting him, bringing the drama straight to his bedroom. But oh fucking well! There would be no drama if he didn't start it.