Chapter Sixteen

Fingers caress my temple, sliding curls away from my face. I savor the touch, keeping my eyes shut and remaining in my sleepy fog for a moment longer. I hate to think if I inch my eyelids open, I'll learn this is just a dream that feels real. It very well could be my imagination. Some cruel trick of my sleep deprived mind. I woke up several times during the night to make sure I was still wrapped in Jace's arms. Every time I stroked my fingers down his chest, he grabbed them and held them to his heart.

Another feather light touch traces the slope of my nose to the indentation above my lip. My heart flutters at knowing he is watching me while I sleep.

The way he touches me sends electric currents running through my veins, and I don't know how much longer I can stay still. When his fingertips lower to my lips and trace the outline of my cupid's bow, I can't help it; I stir and my eyelids flutter open.

When my eyes meet his, the gray in them isn't stormy, but warm and cozy, like a day that's too gloomy to go outside, so you decide to stay in and read your comfort book in your pajamas and fuzzy socks by the fire.

"Good morning," I rasp, biting my bottom lip shyly and releasing it as I search his face for what he's feeling as he gazes down at me.

He pulls his fingers away, curling them into a fist. His cheeks turn pink, like a child caught in the cookie jar. "Good morning. I didn't mean to...you just looked so...sorry if I woke you up."

I shake my head and put my hand on his, opening it and intertwining our fingers. "Don't do that; don't apologize. And please...finish your sentence. I looked so...?" I offer him a smile that I hope tells him I'm truly curious and not making fun of him.

"You looked peaceful. The way the tips of your eyelashes rested on the tops of your cheeks and your lips puckered was innocent. It was like nothing bad plagues your dreams. I bet you dream about organizing cups the wrong way while floating on fluffy clouds."

I scoff and shove him with my free hand. "I do not. Especially because I happen to organize the cups the correct way." I look up at him after we stop laughing and say, "But I did dream last night. About you."

He quirks a brow. "Oh? What about?"

"Exactly where I want to take you on an adventure today. I can't believe I didn't think of it before now."

"You dreamed about taking me on an adventure? Is this going to be the eighth circle where they pull out toenails and plunge hot pokers into eyes?

I wiggle my eyebrows and tickle his ribs. "No, that's where my dad is taking you before dinner tonight. This adventure is here in this circle. Within walking distance and everything. You want a hint?"

"Yeah. I'm intrigued. What's the hint?"

"It has a little to do with the thing you love the most."

"Quiet afternoons and peanut butter puff cereal?"

I roll my eyes and cross my arms over the top of the cover. "Come on, dude. Think a little deeper. Although you could enjoy this thing on a quiet afternoon...and I suppose you could eat your peanut butter puffs while looking at it or designing it..."

"Digital art. Is your dad looking for someone to design the new neon light to hell?"

"You are full of jokes this morning."

He releases a long breath and looks up at the ceiling. "What can I say, I'm in a good mood. And now, I'm eager to see what you have planned. Come on, little hurricane. It's time to start my last day in this realm."

My heart skips a beat at the term of endearment. It's what he called me last night at dinner, and I've never loved a nickname more in my life. "All right, give me a few minutes and I'll be ready to go."