Chapter Forty-Six

I rear back and my jaw drops. "What? How do you know that?"

"Three reasons. One, Cannon may have been up to no good, but he was diligent about it. He was 'dealing with business' just as much if not more than being with us. Two, why would something as important as the ins and outs of your rivals be taught only one day and never reiterated? Three, I have a strange fucking feeling. A nagging deep in my gut that Cannon is telling the truth."

"But what reason does Angelo have to lie? He is the ruler of an entire realm, the long reigning king of angels. To stand before Dex and concoct lies like this could lead to the end of his son."

Jace shifts side to side and his eyes lock onto Angelo. He goes so silent watching the scene unfold that I question whether he is even breathing. It is like he is the lightning pole in the middle of this storm waiting for the blow that sets this all alight.

Finally, he whispers to me, "Is Cannon Angelo's only child?"

I nod. "Yes."

Jace's jaw ticks. "That's what he wants. The end of his line. Then who could rule in his place?"

My breath catches. Angelo has never wanted to give up power and has ruled Pax as long as anyone can remember when Infernis has gone through a reasonable amount of rulers in the same time span. Father has always said Angelo is power hungry. I just never imagined he'd kill his own son to cling to it.

"Fuck. You're right. We have to stop this."

Jace nods and steps forward. "What a shame that your only child committed such a breach of trust and put our entire realm at risk. The imbalance he would have caused to the humans is unfathomable."

My emotions rip in two. Jace is claiming my realm as his own, but he is doing little to prove Cannon's innocence. If he isn't careful, Dex will have our friend thrust into the In Between, and Angelo will get what he wants.

Angelo shrugs. "Kids. You did the best you can to raise them right, but they seem to always disappoint you."

Jace clenches his jaw so tight his lips pucker. "I completely understand. Kids are such a burden. Now, you will have to rule Pax for eternity."

Dex crosses her hands on her desk and sits forward. Something tells me she is waiting to see Angelo's reaction. And rightfully so. If my father was in Angelo's place, I know he would be fighting to save us. He would go as far as to take the blame and suffer the consequences if it meant sparing us pain. Angelo doesn't strike me as the type to do the same.

"I will do what I must do for my realm. My first responsibility is to the angels I rule."

Dex turns her attention to Jace. "Who do you believe is the guilty party, Mr. Wilder?"

I am stunned into silence. Dex asking Jace for his opinion on the situation is...odd to say the least. He's a human who has barely been Infernis for more than a few hours, and she's asking him for his opinion on a crime that is certain to end in a death sentence.

But Jace doesn't appear taken aback or scared. He looks strong, certain, and... kingly, if that's even a word. My chest is warm, and my body erupts into tingles when he speaks in a loud, clear voice.

"Angelo. He's lying about Cannon learning what happens when an angel or demon goes to another realm. I don't know how I know that, but I do."

The angel king scoffs. "So says a human. They can't figure out what is best for them without our intervention. I'd hardly put value behind his opinion, Dex."

"You're really freaking out about my opinion for a being who cares so little for it. I take it that you don't like the idea of your son taking over your precious rule. You want Dex to kill him off so you can rule forever. Don't you, Angelo?"

Unleashing ChaosOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara