Chapter Forty-Five

"Good. He could have killed you and deserves a harsh punishment."

The anger radiating from Jace is so clear, from the tinge of pink in his cheeks to the harsh set of his jaw. But beyond the rage is a glint of concern deep in his gray eyes. He may want to see Cannon brought to justice for what he has done, but that doesn't change that he was once his friend.

I reach over and brush Jace's hair off his forehead and turn his face toward mine. "I know. But I really think we should consider his side and feel out Angelo's side of the story before we judge Cannon too harshly. I just don't believe that he actually set out to hurt me. Before you busted in the room like the Incredible Hulk, he was asking me why I looked so sick, and what was wrong with everyone else. He was genuinely confused. Do you really believe he could hurt me?"

"I don't know what his intentions were, but I know what could have happened if he became your eternal partner. I'm struggling to see past that, Desi."

"But did he know what could've happened? That's the part I truly don't know. I think he just thought he was going to fuck things up for my dad regarding the bet and get on his daddy's good side. I don't think he would've come down here if he knew it would physically harm anyone. Least of all me. Cannon knows I was never going to love him like I love you, but he does care about me, Jace."

He tangles his fingers with mine and brings my knuckles to his lips. "And that is why you were made to be a queen. I can't judge fairly when it comes to your wellbeing. I've come to discover that I'm blinded by love." He flashes me one last charming smile before the coachman opens the door.

I squeeze his hand and we crawl out of the carriage, attempting to not appear like we just got done making out, but of course, Lux is right there climbing out of the carriage in front of us, grinning like the asshole he is.

"Well, well, looks like our little royal couple got reacquainted on the ride over," he mutters, leaning in toward me and Jace with a teasing smirk on his full lips.

My face burns and I shoot him a glare, tucking myself in close to Jace's side. "Shut it, Lux."

"Come on, little sister. Own your lust because you two sure as hell can't contain it when you're around each other."

Images of Jace and I making a spectacle of ourselves at the family dining table flash through my head. If I'm being honest, the thought of us acting affectionate in front of my family isn't as repulsive as it once was. I want them to know that I can't keep my hands off Jace, and it is another extension of the love I feel for him.

Jace surprises me by leaning in and nibbling at my earlobe. "I'll be happy to help you show them all up," he whispers against my neck as if he were reading my mind.

I grin and bump him with my hip. "You're naughty. We have extremely pressing matters at hand right now, sir."

"I can't believe you were going to bond yourself to this piece of shit for the rest of your existence," Colére says, pushing a restrained Cannon forward.

The remorse written on Cannon's face tugs at my heart. It isn't the type of regret one has when they are caught doing something wrong. The sadness radiating from him is like a heavy weight causing his shoulders to slump and his face to contort in pain. Perhaps I'm mistaking his fear of his punishment as something deserving of my pity. Knowing Dex may sentence him to the In Between and set his soul on its final journey could trigger his regret. It's hard to decipher what the true state of his emotions is.

"He's not a piece of shit," I mumble under my breath, and Jace looks down at me, squeezing my hip. I glance up at him and lift one shoulder. "I just can't believe he did this on purpose." I hate the tears that fill my eyes as we walk toward the atrium where Dex presides. I don't want to shed a tear for Cannon, but I can't help it. All the memories we made together are rushing back to me—all the Star Wars movies we watched on the couch, the trips to eat fried pickles, ice skating, target shooting—was all of that a ruse and I am that foolish? I just can't believe that.