Chapter Twenty-Six

Cannon has been playing Saints Row on the X-Box all afternoon, my legs draped over his thighs, his forearms resting on my shins. I'm reading the latest installment in the seven-book romance series I've devoured over the past two weeks, but I've legitimately read the same sentence fifteen times in a row.

I cannot concentrate to save my life right now. It's not because of Cannon's thumbs moving the joysticks back and forth, his occasional curse when he makes a wrong move, or even his soft skin against mine.

It's because I am so torn about what to do as far as telling him about what I am, where I'm from, and what I'm meant to do with the rest of my life. I'm down to less than thirty days, and I'm about to be screwed if I don't make a decision fast.

On one hand, I feel like I need to tell him because he's the only prospect I have. What if he wants to go? Ever since I've known him, he's talked about wanting to work his way to the top, to be the best. He could be a king with me, oversee a Circle of Infernis. I don't think a human could fathom anything greater than ruling the afterlife.

But on the other hand...he might look at me like I am literally insane and run away screaming because honestly, who would believe such a thing?

I shift on the couch, crossing and uncrossing my legs before I lay my book facedown on my chest with a sigh.

Cannon glances at me from the corner of his eye and says, "Is something bothering you, Desi?"

"No," I say, dropping my book onto the floor and pushing my hair out of my face. "Yes. I don't know."

He pauses his game and rests into the cushions, bringing us eye level. "Is this about the other night? You've been quiet since the encounter in the kitchen. Did being with Jace and me at the same time freak you out?"

That isn't at all what I expected him to say. "No. I mean, it was different than anything else I've ever done, but I liked it," I murmur, my face flushing.

"Do you want to invite Jace into other intimate moments with us?"

My eyes go wide at how casually he asks the question. Demons have no shame when acting upon their desires. If they want to touch, they touch. If they want to show off their bodies, they leave their clothes at home. If they want to have more than one partner please them, orgies erupt in the middle of dining halls or while strolling down the street. Humans are more in control of their lust and find many natural acts taboo. I never thought Cannon would be so comfortable sharing. Especially with his roommate.

As much as I loved having Jace's hands on me, and as much as I adored being able to please him, I know it isn't good for us. It isn't good for my heart.

"No, that's not what this is about. As fun as it was, I think I'm okay with one partner at a time. It's something else. There's something I need to tell you, and I'm just so afraid you're going to freak out," I say, leaning my head against his shoulder and hooking my arm in his.

"Have I given you reason to think I would freak out? I've been open with you and I'm pretty open-minded. Why don't you give it a shot, and we will go from there."

"You haven't, but Cannon, this is on a whole other level. This is like, horror movie shit," I say, turning to face him and pulling my legs underneath me.

"I knew it. I fucking knew it. There is no way one girl can be so hot. You made a human skin armor and underneath you're some kind of alien reptile."

I laugh and shake my head. With a deep breath, I decide to just blurt it out. "No. I'm human—well, I'm as human as I can be while also being a demon. From a realm called Infernis. The home of chaos, mayhem, where each one of the seven deadly sins rules their own Circle. You're looking at one right here." I wave my hand down my body. "Want to run yet?"