Chapter Forty-Seven

After our bonding ceremony, which turned out to be much less eventful than the earlier attempt, Jace and I pull every excuse out of our asses we can to get out of the throne room and back to my bedroom. Our emotions were high after promising ourselves to each other forever and taking our place as the king and queen of Sloth.

I can't help but chuckle at the thought of my neat, organized, and hard-working Jace ruling over a circle that was the furthest thing from what he embodied. He vowed to care for those energies that were the least like him, to provide them with a lazy eternity to thrive in. I have no doubt he would have chosen any of the other six circles over sloth. But none of them would have me, and I was the reason he gave up his life in the human realm.

My newly crowned king pushed beyond his fear and threw himself wide open for me. He sacrificed that safe place where he hid his heart and handed it to me without reserve. I was worth the risk of feeling the deep, sharp pain of heartache again. Lucky for him, I'm all in for better and for worse. He will never know the loss of love when it comes to me.

I study my reflection in the bathroom mirror while Jace waits for me in bed. He's already called for me no less than three times, impatient in his waiting. And I'm ready to be with him too. More than ready. But what I'm wearing is so far out of the ordinary that I am a little bit nervous.

With a final adjustment to my bra, I lift my chin and smile. I have to admit the costume is hot. I am in no way as thin as Princess Leia, but Cleo, my mother's seamstress, made the bronze outfit an exact replica in my size, and it fits my curves like a glove. My stomach may not be completely flat, but my breasts look damn good, nearly spilling over the edges of the skimpy top. I slide a golden arm band around my bicep, braid my curls over my shoulder, and take a deep breath. I've been waiting to wear this for Jace for weeks now, ever since I had the bright idea to text Cleo and have her make it for me. And if I know one thing, Jace loves my body even more than he loves Princess Leia herself.

With my hand on the doorknob, I call, "Jace, close your eyes!"

"For real?"

"Yes. For real."

With a sigh, he says, "All right, they're closed."

I swing open the door and step into the bedroom, standing directly in front of where he sits shirtless on the end of my—our—bed. I rest one hand on the curve of my waist and cock my hip out to the side. "All right. Open them."

He sits up and goes wide-eyed like a child who has been told they've been gifted an entire candy store. I've never seen him so excited about anything in the months I've known him. He stands and walks across the room. I take the opportunity to admire the way his pants sit low on his waist, giving me a clear view of the corded muscles of his abdomen and the V that disappears into the waistband. He runs his fingertips over the golden swirls of the bra and eyes the exposed sides of my legs.

"Newest fantasy is now reality. I'll never be turned on by Princess Leia again."

My face flushes and my entire body bursts into flames. "You mean I replaced your sexual awakening? I feel like I just stole something from you!"

He licks his lips and slides his hands over the exposed skin from my ribs to my hips. "Not at all. This is a new sexual awakening. A beautiful creature that is my partner and willing to make all my nerdy fantasies reality." He meets my eyes. "Someone I can trust my heart with, and she can trust me with hers. I like this better than any movie."

My heart spills over and I draw my bottom lip between my teeth. "That's the best answer you could've given me." I place my palms on his cheeks and run my thumb over his bottom lip. "Tonight is for you, Jace. You're my eternal partner now, and I want to bow before you and be whatever you want me to be." Turning toward the closet, I step inside and pull two long, velvet ribbons off the shelf. "I didn't have a chain handy, but...I have these. How do you want this to go, my king?"