Chapter Twenty-One

I can't help it; I glare up at this woman with nothing but contempt in my eyes, and I hope she can see it. How dare she even speak to him after what she did? If I wouldn't end up in jail with a fake ID, I'd beat the shit out of her right here.

I glance at Jace out of the corner of my eye, sending him the mental signal to play up our fake dating harder than ever. I want her to feel the loss, see and remember what she gave up for her own selfish needs.

"How are you doing?" she asks.

His fingers creep across the table and entangle with mine. "Good. I'm doing really good. I'm about to lock down an investor on my business. Now I'm just taking my girl out after an afternoon at Dulton Ranch."

Hannah glances down at me, her eyelids lowering as she takes me in. "I don't think we've met. I'm Hannah. Jace and I—"

"Were engaged to be married until you left him to recover in a hospital bed after a traumatic accident. I know who you are." I don't hold back, letting my voice seep with venom. She doesn't deserve pleasantries or to so much as look at Jace. Hannah is the type of person I would love to watch Colére toy with until she screams in agony and begs him to stop.

Jace hooks his index finger over his mouth, hiding his smile. "Hannah, this is Desi, my girlfriend."

I flash her a saccharine sweet grin and prop my elbow on the table, resting my chin in my palm.

Hannah finally blinks, her wide eyes shifting from me to Jace. "I—Nice to meet you?"

"She's a little protective, what can I say?" he comments with a shrug.

"A lot," I correct, leaning over the table and gripping the back of his neck, pressing my mouth against his in a kiss that rivals the passion of the one he'd given me in the car earlier.

"I just wanted to check on you." She points behind her. "I'm actually here with my boyfriend, and he's waiting on me to order."

Jace squints at the man across the room. The guy is good looking—blond, built, but he has his finger in his ear. He studies his menu and only stops when he sniffs whatever lingers on his fingertip.

"Is that Stoner Zack from your biology study group, the one who left you hanging with all the labs?" Jace asks.

"Yeah. Science isn't Zack's thing. He is learning his dad's business and is set to take over in the next few years."

I notice that she fails to mention what that business is. Something tells me that it is nowhere near as impressive as Jace starting his own digital design company. I don't even know that guy, but I can't help wondering how she looks herself in the mirror every morning knowing she downgraded from Jace to Zack.

"Is he waiting on you to order because he needs help reading the menu?" I ask, cocking my head to the side as I watch him turn the plastic brochure right-side-up after staring at it upside down for the past five minutes.

Jace snorts behind his fist and tries to glare at me, but I can tell he thinks I'm hilarious.

Hannah doesn't even spare me a glance as she says, "I think I'll go now. It was good to see you, Jace," she says, pointedly ignoring my existence.

He nods at her once as he squeezes my fingers. "You as well. Tell Stoner Zack that I wish him luck with his order."

She pivots toward her table, and I call out, "Nice to meet you too, Hannah!" in the most cheerful voice I can muster.

Of course she doesn't acknowledge that am alive as she leaves, but I couldn't care less because I am so incredibly proud of Jace for handling the first time he's seen her since his accident like such a fucking boss.