Chapter Twenty-Eight

We board the plane and take our seats. Jace is the epitome of relaxed, scrolling through his phone. I, on the other hand, am staring out the window and playing with all the gadgets around us. We have planes in Infernis, but they are rarely used. Most demons don't veer far from their Circle. I've seen mention of them in movies and imagined what it would be like flying first class. This exceeds my expectations. Or maybe it's not truly the plane that has me in awe, but the man sitting beside me.

He glances up from his phone and smiles at me. "Are you all right? Do you need anything before we take off?"

I chew the inside of my cheek and pretend like I wasn't just thinking about how phenomenal he is. "No. I'm just a little scared is all. I have no idea what to expect here, and I don't exactly love heights." I wring my hands in my lap and lay my head back against the headrest, letting my eyelids flutter closed.

Warm fingers slink beneath mine and curl around my thigh. I crack my eyes open and watch as Jace's thumb rubs calming strokes against the outside of my leg. The gesture is innocent, but my body doesn't see it that way. Its response is far beyond receiving comfort from a friend. I have to fight the urge to inch my thighs apart and feel him touch me more intimately.

"As soon as we are in the air, I'll order you a drink," he says, gently squeezing my leg.

I swallow hard and nod. "O-okay," I whisper. "As long as you don't stop doing what you're doing right now, I'll be good to go." My voice is shaky and my heart beating hard against my ribcage. I could pretend it's because I'm scared of takeoff, but that's probably only twenty percent of my problem right now.

"I'm not going anywhere. Just talk to me to take your mind off the nerves and you'll be fine."

"Okay, there was one thing I wanted to tell you about the other night that I didn't get around to." I turn my head to the side and meet his eyes. "I told Cannon what I am, about Infernis, all of it."

His lips part and all I want to do is slide my tongue between them. Stop, Desi. "You did? What did he say?"

"That was the weird thing. He didn't even flinch, Jace. He was like, 'Cool, can I guess what sin you are?'"

Jace snorts. "Did he get it right?" His thumb begins moving over my leg again and I smirk.

"No. He thought I was Lust."

"I can see why he would have confused you with lust."

"Oh yeah?" I ask, raising one brow. "And why's that?"

He leans in closer to me, bringing his mouth to my ear. In a voice that sends shivers down my spine, he says, "I know that's the sin tempting me whenever I'm around you."

I turn my face toward his so our lips are inches apart. "Me too. We've barely started this trip and you've already got me wishing you'd use that blanket you were so excited about to cover our laps and really take my mind off the nerves," I murmur.

"Is that what you really want, Desideria?"

Yes. No. Maybe. We are toeing a line I thought we never would again, but I should have known better. Jace is right; when we are together, I'm consumed by lust. So much so, that a part of me wants to say fuck the blanket and guide his hand between my legs. I want him to touch me, to make me feel all the things only he can. And when I'm done losing myself to his touch, I want to return the favor. The only thing that holds me back is that small voice of reason in the back of my head. It is the same part of me that rebels against what I am; that revels in order and plays it safe. As much as I want to ignore it, that voice is vital to who I am and my self-preservation.