Chapter Thirty-Five

The ride from the airport to the house is silent, and Jace hasn't let go of my hand since we stepped foot out of the hotel room. He's been attentive, kind, showering me with hugs and kisses, and I've loved every second of it.

I know that it's only going to make what happens in two days even harder.

When the Uber pulls up in front of the house, Jace jumps out and runs around to open the door for me, extending his hand to help me out of the SUV. I take it and we each roll a suitcase inside. He stops me before I open the front door.

"Wait. What are you going to tell Cannon?"

My eyes snap to his. "What do you mean?"

"Are you going to—I mean—"

"Am I going to ask him to go with me?" I ask in a low voice, my heart sinking a little lower in my chest.

His nod is almost imperceptible, and he can't meet my eyes. He doesn't have to look at me, though, for me to know that he's hurting just as bad as I am. I can't pretend that I completely understand all his reasoning, but I know that it doesn't matter if I get it or not. Jace is doing the best he can.

"I think so," I say in a small voice. It isn't what I really want, but it's the next best thing.

"Do you mind if I grill him? I think he should hear all the hard truths about what he is getting himself into. I don't want to discourage him, but I care about him, and I think he should get the full scope from someone who has seen it firsthand but isn't a part of your realm."

My heart always warms at Jace's protectiveness, and it's no different when he's protective of a friend like Cannon. "Of course not. I'd like to see that, if you wouldn't mind," I say as I push the door open and take off my boots, pushing them under the bench in the foyer. My eyes linger on all of my shoes lined up next to Jace's; it's such a silly thing, but I'll miss that sight when I go home.

"Cannon, are you here?" Jace calls out, walking into the great room.

The man in question turns and smiles at us from his place on the couch. Bags of chips and soda cans litter the coffee table. I don't miss the tick in Jace's jaw when he eyes the mess, but he manages to keep his cool.

Pausing the game on the big flatscreen, Cannon stands and gathers his trash. "Sorry man. I thought you were coming back tomorrow."

"Change of plans," Jace grumbles, opening the cupboard housing the trash can.

I give Jace a look that screams we are about to have a really important conversation; drop the attitude and cross the room to our messy but well-meaning roommate. "I got it," I say, giving Cannon a quick hug before taking the trash from his hands. "How are you?"

He smiles and thanks me before taking a seat at the island. "Fine, just holding down the fort. How was your trip?"

I force a grin and say, "New York City is magnificent. I got to see the Statue of Liberty and Jace got Edmonds all signed and ready. It was a success."

"I'm glad you had a good time. What could have changed to bring you home sooner? You needed more than one day to really take in the sights."

Jace leans against the counter with his arms folded and motions for me to fill Cannon in. The urge to cry and ignore the issue is strong. I want to take Jace upstairs and lose myself in him again. Life would be so much easier if all I had to worry about was where I want to touch him next and the sexual positions I still want to try with him. My life is never that easy though.

As I tell Cannon the whole story about my brother showing up on Liberty Island, my father and Angelo at the bar, and finally the rogue angel, his face remains calm, but he does look concerned at the mention of my name and danger in the same sentence. It's a trait I admire about Cannon—his ability to always keep a level head until he has all the needed information.