Unwanted

Tears in her eyes, a stone over her heart. The only person who had been by her side all the night was her maid. The rest others were busy tending to the wails of a particular woman who had just miscarried. She probably wouldn't even be able to have any more kids and when that news hit the prisoner's ears, all she ever felt was guilt.

The royal, comfortable clothes that she owned were stripped off her and now, she was wearing what every other prisoner of the kingdom wore. A coarse cloth. No attention was paid to the fact that she was still very much pregnant. Instead, she was sadly locked up in a prison present in the basement of the palace by guards who themselves didn't believe that she could do such a thing.

" What else!? You teach a stupid woman some swordship and she thinks that she can get away with murder of a prince?! This is the best lesson. Don't teach your women anything! They're best in the kitchen," and his own ears had been pricked by such shameless accusations too. Sure, he didn't show any remorse at the death of the innocent child because he had absolutely no emotional connect. Yes, he did feel bad for the woman but he also believed that it was a "You reap what you sow" situation. So, he wasn't intervening. Still, he wasn't sure if his dear wife had done something that would cut his nose or not. He wasn't sure and needed to talk to her at least once before she was sent away.

Unfortunately for him, he couldn't.

He couldn't find out where his princess was hidden that night and the entire day, be was pretty preoccupied by an annoying maid who kept begging him to visit his second wife. Finally, when he decided to give in and meet her at least once and tell her that she got what she deserved was the exact moment his love was forcefully transferred.

" Ha," a sarcastic laughter was heard the moment he walked into that room. It was gloomy, sweaty and dark. He could feel the negativity in the air as he saw the woman who was laying on her head look at him with a sarcastic smirk over her face.
" Guess this is what I get for committing the worse sin ever," and she even said the only thing he had to say to her. So, he sighed. She seemed pretty sad to have lost her child... And by looking at her expression, he didn't know why but his own heart began melting. She definitely angered him a lot but she was his second wife.
" You know... All I ever wanted was your approval and Rani ma's... A girl from Raniganj. Of course you don't trust me," but this time, as she poured her heart out loud in front of him, he could see the honesty in her eyes and he wanted to listen. No matter if he knew that his love was in a dungeon, he still needed to listen. Because it was his duty as a husband that he had been dismissing. It was his duty that was not fulfilled due to which she had to go to those lengths, just to survive.

It wasn't her fault... She only wanted to prove her worth in a world where everyone was against her. She just followed what was taught to her and did nothing else. If anything was to blame, it was her upbringing. If that would have been a little better, it would have all been so much more peaceful in her life too. She wouldn't have to lose a child just to be able to talk to her own husband...

" She is pretty... Very beautiful. Kind, good. And I'm nothing like her. I can't even compare us. But how can you say that I am not your wife? Didn't you take those 7 rounds around the fire with me too? Didn't you put the Sindoor in my maang too? Why me then? Just because I'm from that place and she is from the palace?" There were many questions in her heart that she would love to get answers to and these were just a handful of the sea full of questions that she had always carried around. And the way she looked up at him, with hope... It broke him.

There was one woman he loved and there was another woman who needed the love he had in his heart. One who was begging him at that point because he knew as well as her that if she wasn't capable to having children anymore, she would be discarded and as unwanted as before.

" Every day, I see you. You teach her how to write, read and fight. She's a girl and you still do it because she's wife. You love her. Why not me then? What had I even done? Just wanted some time. Was it that hard? You love her... I'm not saying that you don't. But what about me then? You're the perfect happy couple. Am I not your wife then? Just because you believe something? You always think about what she would think and feel like. What about me? I feel too..." it was a little hard, all that coming from her to him. A little hard for him to process that it wasn't just his wife who needed to break the chains of society and be free. There were many more women struggling out there. Many more mothers crying as they hugged their dead daughters, many more men who believed that they were much superior than any woman...

A whole nation that he needed to change. A whole new concept that he needed to develop.

" Why couldn't you teach me a few words too? Why send her to help me? Am I that unwanted?... You know what prince... The best punishment for me will be death. Please, kill me. I don't want to live anymore. I'm done... Please. Slice my throat apart and relive me of this pain... I beg you," and when he heard that beg, immediately one of his hands went ahead and held hers. She wasn't his love, but as a dutiful husband, he needed to help her. It was because of him that she was in that situation at that moment... If only he had been a fairer husband to both his wives... Maybe, neither one of them would have to see that day.

" Sorry... I can't undo the pain you are suffering from. But I can promise. It'll be different from now," was all he could come up with at that moment and just as that needy woman burst out crying, he decided to comfort her. Yes, the thought of his love was still in the back of his head but it just seemed more important to be with a mentally unstable woman and help her cope up with her life's biggest misery ever...

Probably wasn't the best move. But she was in pain. And she was a woman. Every woman needed to be treated fairly, whether it was his first wife or second.