The Ruthless King

" I award prince Shaurya the Southern Part of Lalipat. He receives the whole land surrounding the river and the mansion built on the river bank," the servant told everyone the new king's first order and all the officials began talking among themselves. 

" THIS IS WRONG YOUR MAJESTY!"
" YES! THE PRINCE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING TO DESERVE ANY PRIZE!"
" YOU CANNOT GRANT HIM ANY LAND WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR MINISTERS!" 
" HE IS NOT WORTHY OF ANY OF THAT LAND!"

Greedy men... They started berating his decision one after the other, ripping him a new one all because they wanted all that land. All because they didn't want a good piece of land to be given to someone else. Yes, they would later fight amongst themselves for the same piece of land but it felt much better than letting it go to a prince. Vultures... 

But all he did was stare at them blankly. 

A whole court full of ministers fought against him as he sat adorned on his gold throne. One foot on his gold footrest. Head right under an array of precious stones and hands lightly placed on the hand rests in the shape of lions; representing the bravery he had for being able to even sit there.  

Was covered by jewelry from head to toe. A thousand necklaces around his neck. A huge crown over his head; whose weight was more than he could manage to hold. But he didn't move one bit. Nor did he show a bit of discomfort. After all, this was what he needed to carry over his head for the rest of his life. 

That crown reminded him of all his responsibilities that were weighing him down at that very moment as almost every man in front of him fought against his order.

Even though he carried himself with dignity, he still felt dead inside as he knew that the war ahead was endless. He was only 19 and this is where life had brought him... 

But one look from her cleared his head. 

" She can't be the Rani yet! She's still only 19! There has not been one queen under 21 and I am not going to let you break tradition here!" 
She wasn't sitting next to him as she should have. She wasn't the one who put the crown on his head like it was her right. All because of another stupid ritual.
But she was there. Behind a curtain. Looking right at him. Giving him support by just being there...

And that is all he needed because he got all the courage he needed from her eyes alone. 

So, he slammed his hand on the handrest of his throne made of gold and glared at the old men in front of him. It got silent after that and everyone was now only looking at the king. 

" Who all is against my decision? Come in front," he spoke in a mellow, manly voice, shaking the core of his wife who had never heard that voice come out of his mouth. But the court officials seemed unbothered. They seemed indifferent to the storm they had started in his heart. Instead, those who strongly opposed his decision took a step forward and looked once at the old woman who smiled and nodded at them. She guessed that he would just be counting how many of them would be against the decree and then Sohit would have to change. 

" 11 of 15 here?" but she wasn't ready for what he had in store for her
" Yes, your highness,"
" We all think your decision was a little too hasty,"
" Why don't you think more about it and then place it?"
" No need for that," he turned his head, " guards. Behead all these 11," 

Silence. 

Utter silence in the entire courtroom. 

Even his wife was looking at him in shock as guards marched ahead with swords ready in their hands. 

" YOUR HIGHNESS!?"
" YOU CANNOT DO THIS!"
" YOU CANNOT KILL 11 OF US!"
" FOR NO REASON!" 
" WHO WILL TAKE OUR PLACE??"

" You all have forgotten so... Let me remind you. The first rule of the Royal court is "THE KING IS ALWAYS RIGHT". AND YOU DARE GO AGAINST THE KING'S DECREE!? Breaking the royal court's rules cost you all your lives!"
" YOU CANNOT DO THIS! YOU CANNOT ORDER BEHEADING ON YOUR FIRST DAY AS KING! IT IS WRONG AND-" 
" YOU DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO RUN MY COURT!" she tried. Walked out of the curtain that separated the men and women. Walked straight to the new king with anger in her eyes, willing to strangle him at that very moment but his declaration made her stop dead in her tracks
" Guards! Take Badi Rani ma to her chambers! She has lost all her shame, walking out of the curtains like this! I punish her to be under house arrest for the rest three months. She is not to leave her room. Self reflect on what you have done!" she just made the job so much easier for him... 

And seeing her being dragged out of a court room he had full authority over gave him a different kind of satisfaction. 

" OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!" 

But he was ruthless with his verdicts and his wife had just seen in horror as the court room filled with blood. 

Who had he turned into? 
An animal? 
Because she couldn't deal with the cynical smile he had on his face he saw each and every one of those men losing their heads. For what? Saying what was on their mind...? 

She didn't want to believe that it was her husband who was smirking lightly after seeing the death of so many people. 

Was he even the same man who was crying in her arms like a small kid the previous night?

" THIS IS A WARNING FOR EVERYONE!!! ANYONE WHO GOES AGAINST ME WILL MEET WITH THE SAME END!!!!!"