Chapter 13 | A Lose and a Win

𝗜 𝗗𝗢 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗢𝗪𝗡 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗠𝗔𝗡 𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗡𝗢𝗥 (𝗬/𝗡)

আ𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 13 𝘈 𝘓𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢 𝘞𝘪𝘯.~

⥤⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⥢

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ...

.

.

.

.

.

ʟᴏᴀᴅɪɴɢ...

.

.

.

.

.

⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺

"FAUST HASSEI," Faust introduced. (Note: Hassei = VIII, or, 'the eighth'.)

"Oh— Nice to meet you too," Yoh replied. (Y/n) observed the friendly tone in Faust's voice, but felt a need to keep her guard up, despite him not being her opponent. 

Faust smiled. "Ah, I'm so glad. I was worried about what to do if my opponent were a scary one." 

"He's a strange guy," Yoh commented quietly in a whisper to (Y/n)'s ear. The (h/c) haired girl let out a small 'I guess so' back to Yoh, also in a whisper. 

Acting upon instinct, (Y/n) wrapped her fingers around Yoh's arm, almost in a protective manner. She didn't realize that she was glaring intensely at Faust, until Yoh turned to her curiously and Faust gazed down at her with a questioning look. 

"Ah— Gomenasai. I hope I wasn't rude," (Y/n) said casually with a small bow of her head, though still refusing to let go of Yoh. 

Anna's words echoed in her head. 

"Don't let Yoh die."

"Yoh-dono, this man is reeking of death," Amidamaru warned, readying to draw Harusame.

"I agree. I highly suggest that you remain on your guard, Yoh-san," Kotone added. 

For a split second, Faust's eyes narrowed and (Y/n)'s grasp around Yoh's arm tightened a little bit. 

Faust smiled gently in a child-like manner. "Sorry about that. It's probably because I used to be a doctor," He said. 

"Doctor?" Yoh repeated. 

"Yes. My family has studied medicine for generations. We've found hundreds of cures for diseases. But even so, patients died. They died from old age, or from accidents. In the end, I could not win over death.." Faust's voice trailed off again, before his eyes grew intense and cold again. "How can I overcome that hateful death..?" 

"Oh, why does the body perish?" Faust suddenly stretched his arms to the sky. "Why do we continue to be born, knowing that we will perish? Why do we desperately survive, knowing that we'll die? Once, in search of that eternal mystery, a man tried to transcend death.."