Chapter 41: It Was All in The Past

JUDAH

-SIX YEARS AGO-

I hated it. I didn't have to be here but my dad insisted.

"Sir? Would you like some refreshments?" One of the staff offered.

"No, thanks. I'm fine. Just please tell your boss to get over here."

"Yes, sir. Right away." He left the room, slowly closing the glass door.

I leaned back on my chair and observed my surroundings. The Harrisons have quite a theme going on here. Their interiors were fine, but not really my taste. It looked like a modern Camelot castle, literally. The velvet furnishings and traditional lighting. The art pieces in the halls looked like it was made of melted knight's armor. And even the conference hall has 12 chairs and a round table. Are you kidding me? Should I be waiting for Merlin to show up?

"Judah Kingston." He's finally here.

I stood up to formally greet him as I would anyone... and as my dad told me to. I've never really met him personally. Only his father. And that man looked like bad news, though maybe it's just the decades of rivalry that made him seem that way. Oddly enough, his son looks decent. I don't really have that initial sense of loathing, unlike when I first met his old man.

"Ah. Lancelot." Crap. The place got to me.

"I'm sorry?"

"I mean...Clyde Harrison." I reached out my hand and he reciprocated the gesture with a firm handshake, "I take it you know why I'm here?"

"Yes." We both took our seats, "Your father, Mr. Kingston, sent me a personal email."

"And what did Mr. Harrison say about this ridiculous idea?"

He squinted his eyes, perhaps recalling the memory of his father's reply. He wore a troubled expression before speaking, "Strangely, he wasn't bothered at all..."

"Seriously?"

"Yes. He's actually the one who told me to set up this meeting."

I leaned back, trying to absorb Mr. Harrison's sudden change of heart. I know him as a stern and strict man who takes competition seriously, but he agrees to have his son form a partnership with a rival? A long-time one at that.

"Did he hire a wizard for himself or something?"

He smirked, "Coincidentally, he has an assistant named Merlin."

If I had water in my mouth, I would've spit it out, "No sh*t?"

"He's very traditional. Sticks to the theme." He rolled his eyes, "He either hires people with names from the Arthurian legend or he renames them for his comfort."

"Damn. And he didn't name you Guinevere?"

He laughed lightly and gave a shrug, "Well, I'm the only son he's got so we made a deal. I stay Clyde and he has himself a successor."

I couldn't help but laugh. Clyde Harrison, huh. Our families have been rivals ever since our great-grandfathers, or so I've been told. So, hating each other would've been more appropriate, but this guy seems alright. He's not out to get my throat despite the fact that we're rivals. Perhaps dad's idea is not so bad after all.

"You know, Mr. Kingston—"

"Judah's fine."

He continued, "Alright then, Judah. To be honest, I've never really been fond of having enemies. And I know I should instinctively despise you, being a Harrison and you a Kingston. But... would you rather do differently?"