(8) Love and Other Things

Alright, if I get out of bed, how long would it take Xavier to come in here and force me back down? I thought as I stared at the tiny red scars all over my skin. My broken arm was just lying on my stomach as it began to heal in a very slow process. He said it’d take a few days before it is back to normal again, and he also said I would have to stay in bed without moving it until then. I was bored, frustrated, and worried as I stared at the television in the bedroom. It was some lame romance movie, though I was beginning to catch in interest in it.

“Blood time,” Xavier announced as he handed me my second bag for the night.

“I’m too full.”

He gave me a stern look and poured the bag into a glass before poking a straw in it. “Do you want to heal?”

I let out a long sigh. “Xavier, I’m sloshing because I’m too full of blood. I’ve gotten to the point that it smells bad. Please, no more.”

He was about to protest, but I silenced him by pressing my lips tightly together.

I gave a small pat on the bed with my good arm and smiled widely when I saw him slide in next to me. I wiggled until I was able to press my cheek into his bare shoulder. We just cuddled and watched a romance movie like any regular couple. It was so strange to be just lying here next to each other and watch the television. We never did this, ever. Back in the day, we’d do our thing and I’d go off into the other room and read until we either went hunting or did our thing again. It was routine. I used to hate anything like cuddling or being close in an emotion touchy kind of a way.

“Do you think something else will happen soon?” I asked in a small voice.

“I called the witch. She claims she’s doing the best she can… I obviously think she’s just dusting her crystal ball.” Xavier rolled his eyes and looked back at the television.

“You didn’t answer my question.”

He became quiet, his arm tightening around my body, almost hurting me.

I looked up at him, my lips pulling to the side. “I think we need to continue my training soon.”

“If it was a ghost, wouldn’t there be no point in learning how to fight?” His expression was mocking.

I frowned and gently rolled to where I had my hand on his stomach and my other arm was propping me up. That movement hurt. “What else is there to do? Xavier, my best friend tried to kill me and knew exactly what to say to hurt me.”

Xavier moved me so that I was back on my back, looking as if he were solving a complicated crossword puzzle. “What’d she say?”

I looked away from his intense gaze. She basically said I couldn’t keep my knees shut. Would telling Xavier make him upset? I questioned myself for a moment while tracing little circles over his arm. “She pretty much asked me if it felt good, to kill her...and…”

“And what?”

Alright, I’ve said a lot of crappy and insulting things to Xavier over nearly a century. Maybe I was more hurt by her words because I had always felt so sick about sleeping with the man that caused me so much grief. “And that I was weak for sleeping with you so soon after her death.”

He tilted his head to the side, his eyebrow giving a sort of raise. “That hurt?”

My mouth opened in surprise. It was as if he said that was all? Get some emotion, gosh. I adjusted myself so that I wasn’t leaning on his anymore. “Yes. It hurt. Why wouldn’t it?”