(22) The Creation

(22) The Creation

I woke up suddenly, my eyes scanning the room wildly for whatever had woken me. Xavier stood in the doorway with a smile on his lips. I sat up in our bed, feeling a little light-headed from last night’s events. We had had to walk for two hours before finding a car—we found it by stealing it and leaving the stolen car in front of our house. It wasn’t too horrible considering we held hands like a normal couple. It was strange. I loved it.

“How are you feeling? The cut?” Xavier asked as he crossed the room to lay beside me.

I held up my arm for him to look. “It feels fine, I guess.”

He gently held it and looked at the pinkish scar with approving eyes. “It had healed up wonderfully.”

I stretched out my arms before me as I yawned from my deep sleep. It was a peaceful night of sleep, actually. I still smelled faintly of lake considering we had gotten back just as the sun was beginning to rise. My hair was a mass of tangles and knots. Groaning, I got out of bed and began to work out the knots with my brush as Xavier watch with amusement. Apparently I’m just hilarious when I’m brushing my hair. I tossed the brush aside and headed towards the bathroom for a shower instead. My hair just needed intense conditioning.

“Care if I join you?” Xavier asked from the doorway of the bathroom.

My lips pulled up into a smile. “Are you sure that’s appropriate considering I only just met you last night…” I feigned worry.

He took several slow steps towards me with a smirk playing on his lips. “I think it’s okay. I mean, I feel like we have a lot of chemistry…” He pulled my chin up and kissed me on the lips.

I melted against him, gripping onto his t-shirt. “I definitely feel that chemistry…”

He pulled away from me, to my surprise, and let me go. “I think we should start packing tonight and leave tomorrow.”

“Tonight?” I wasn’t disappointed or anything considering I’ve been looking forward to this for a few nights now, but it seemed so sudden.

“If we leave by tomorrow night, we won’t be tracked. We’ll leave Matthew’s crap behind and everything else.”

It wasn’t unusual for Xavier to suddenly want to get on the road. I was about to think back to the old days, but quickly stopped myself. “I think it sounds perfect. I’ll shower and help you pack.”

He placed a kiss on my forehead and left me alone in the bathroom. I stripped out of the t-shirt I wore to sleep and climbed into the shower. The water was nice and hot, exactly what I needed. I applied a heavy amount of shampoo and managed to get every bit of lake smell out of my long hair. I focused solely on getting the smell out before I applied a heavy amount of conditioner to get my hair tangle-free. The shower must have lasted an hour because my skin was wrinkly and gross. I climbed out and wrapped my hair and body in towels before heading into the bedroom to find some clothes.

Xavier was stuffing a suitcase full of his clothes when I walked in. I came up from behind him and wrapped my arms around his body. “I smell like roses now,” I murmured.

“Mmm, yes you do.” He turned around and patted the towel on my head.

“So did you get everything packed?” I peered over his shoulder at his suitcase.

“Most of the stuff. Your clothes are in the car already. I just need to take this down and put it in the car.”

“Blood?”

He smiled. “In the car. I left a few bags in the fridge. You should drink before we leave,” he said like a concerned parent.

I ignored the authority in his tone and headed into the closet to change. “We should have road trip music. We might get bored of each other by the time we get to Dallas.”