(18) Fight Club

(18) Fight Club

My back slammed against the ground, causing all of the air to escape from my lungs. I groaned, feeling my back cracking from the impact. He really knew how to throw a girl, didn’t he? “Ah, break!” I groaned as I crawled on my knees.

“Ten minutes and a blood bag.” He pulled me to my feet and shoved a bag into my hand. “At least you’ve improved some.”

I gave him a hard look. “Improved? You’ve thrown me onto the matt so many times that my body shape is forming into it.”

He helped me over to the bench and wrapped an arm around my shoulders. “If you didn’t hit the ground, you wouldn’t be learning. You’ve only been training for six nights. At least now you can dodge a punch.”

I scowled. Six nights and I feel like all I’ve managed to do it land on the ground perfectly. Xavier seemed apt to teach me more how dodge than to actually fight. He said I wasn’t ready for fighting yet. Maybe he was right. But that doesn’t stop me from whining about it. “Why can’t we just fight and I learn from what I did wrong?” I really want to punch you after all of the times you’ve thrown me to the ground.

“Sweetheart, if I painted a red circle on my bare chest, you wouldn’t be able to hit me. No, right now it’s best to learn how to dodge. We’ll start the actually punching and kicking after you’re able to not get thrown.”

I sighed and leaned my head against his bare shoulder. “Fine… When are we paying Matthew a visit?”

His body tensed. “Soon. Possibly within the next night or so. I’d prefer it if you were in better shape.”

I stood back up and faced him on the matt. “Again.”

He raised a brow, eyeing my stance. “Your right foot needs to be further out.”

I adjusted it and gave a nod.

Sighing, Xavier pushed himself off the bench and came up from behind me. His bare chest pressed against my back while his arm snaked over my chest. “Throw me off of you,” he purred, now gripping me so tight that it hurt.

I tried, honestly I did. Every time I tried to roll him over me, he simply chuckled and gave me a criticism. Furious, I threw all of my weight forward, sending him right over me and onto the matt. It would have been wonderful if I hadn’t lost my balance and tumbled right onto him. We didn’t speak. I knew he was probably seething over how horrible I was at this. I didn’t speak because I had nothing to say. He ran his fingers over my spine, against my tank top. Alright, he wasn’t too pissed. “At least I got you off of me…” I mumbled sheepishly into his shoulder.

“At least you managed to do that. You did, however, fail to do every step after that.”

I groaned. Leave it to Xavier to bring up the bad parts.

We rolled onto out feet and got back into position. But we were interrupted.

“Teach her fighting moves, Xavier. Or are you just teaching her this particular move just to hold her close?” Liam teased, standing on the stairs.

Xavier scowled and flipped him the finger. “What are you still doing here?”

Liam stepped down to the floor and grabbed one of our blood bags. Since Zulu had died, he had nothing to drink. He said he would go find another human, but he “hadn’t the time for searching.” Instead of helping us clean up the disaster upstairs, he only buried Zulu and then spent hours reading. “I’m waiting for Elizabeth to pop up, remember?”

“She never will. She especially won’t after Matthew’s men raided the house and kidnapped someone.”

Liam began feeding on the bag, looking almost like he was just drinking a juice box. He was so clean and proper that it was funny. “I guess we’ll wait and see.”