(15) Trust

(15) Trust

Something hard was pressing against me. I reached out and brushed my fingers over it out of instinct. But my fingers didn’t brush against skin.

It was the wall.

My eyes roamed over the wall in confusion. Why was I next to a wall and why did I smell feet? I sat up, dazed and a little panicked. My face smacked directly against a warm foot, startling me and causing me to launch myself backward and into the bookcase. It shuddered, sending just a single book down directly on top of my head. “Mother f—“

“Where you just kissing my foot?” Joanna questioned hoarsely.

I brushed my hair out of my face and gave her a look. “What was your smelly foot doing so close to my face?” I shot back in annoyance.

She sat up, her hair a wild mess of tangles. “For your information, your face was nearly my foot. You rolled around all night. And here I thought vampires were mostly dead during the day.”

I rolled my eyes dramatically. My thoughts quickly went to Xavier and what had happened last night. My chest ached at the memory of him being beaten right before my eyes. Yes, what he did to me was horrific and unforgivable. But I’ve dealt with so much of his mental episodes that I wasn’t focusing on what he had done. I’d deal with it eventually. After he’s cooled off and such, of course. “Wait, weren’t you supposed to have left at noon?”

Her eyes widened and she darted towards the window. “Shit,” she cursed when she saw how dark it was. “Your boyfriend kept waking me up every time he tried to open the door. Drove me insane…”

“Xavier tried coming in?” How did I not hear this? “He should’ve been out of it.”

“Six times. Twice he threatened to rip my head clean off my bony shoulders. It’s funny how he thinks he can scare me.” She looked down at her outfit and began smoothing it out. “Don’t worry. He never got inside of the room.”

I stared at her blankly. She was such a strange person. Who saves a vampire from their boyfriend and keeps them away as they slept? A complete stranger! “Why did you save me?” I blurted out.

She stopped stuffing things into her bag, but didn’t look at me. “That’s what people do. Anyone would have done the same.”

I shook my head. “No, they wouldn’t have. Liam and Zulu were downstairs and they didn’t step in. Sure, Liam can’t harm Xavier and Zulu would’ve died instantly…But they didn’t even knock at the door.”

She plopped down on the bed, her dark eyes meeting mine now. “Do you believe in witches?”

That was random. I almost laughed at the question. “I do now.” If only she knew.

“Well,” she began slowly, “I met a witch months ago. She asked me if I wanted to know what my future held. She was kind of a gypsy, if you ask me. But she claimed she was a witch.”

“Why would she ask you that?”

“No idea. Maybe she saw the desperation in my eyes. I was a wreck at the time. She said she’d tell me my future if I managed to free her from, err, someone.”

“Who—“

“So I agreed to help her,” she interrupted when I was starting to question who the person was that held the witch prisoner.

I stood up and sat down in the office chair so that I at the same level as her. “What’d she say?”

She pulled her knees to her chest and rested her chin on them. “Lots of crap. You know, the mumbo-jumbo they usually tell you. But some of it was pretty interesting. Actually, it kind of got to me.” She began to laugh humorlessly.