(12) Helpless

(12) Helpless

We all seemed to be slow tonight because none of us moved or even spoke. Here was an injured human at our doorstep and yet no one attacked her or did anything threatening. Xavier gripped my hand tightly, confusing me because he only did this when I was in any kind of danger. This girl didn’t even seem a little threatening, not when she was this injured. I immediately thought back to the day I first saw her, in a little club not far from here. It was a few years ago, before Xavier had found me.

She was so different back then, friendly. I felt a wave a panic hit me when I remembered some of what I blabbed to her during my drunken state. It definitely wasn’t a coincidence that she was here, and it didn’t seem to be a coincidence that she was at the bar. But why? I looked at her, realizing there was so much more about her, and also that she probably lied about a lot of things.

“What happened?” Liam’s voice was more curious than concerned as he let her inside of our house.

Her narrow shoulders were bent forward, as if she were crouched down. It was then when I noticed a black bag was slung loosely over her shoulder. “Do you have something for me to drink? I’m feeling dizzy.” She sat down on the edge of a chair, her hands pressing firmly into her stomach.

“Does Matthew know you’re here?” Xavier asked as he casually moved in front of me.

Her eyes narrowed and she clenched her jaw. “Fuck Matthew.”

I found myself confused even further. “Wait, who are you, really?” I questioned, thinking back to when I first met her. “Not Jane?”

Xavier looked at me with a suspicious look plastered on his face. What did he think I did? Did he think I was somehow plotting against him? If I knew anything he didn’t, he immediately assumes I’m doing something terrible. “How do you know her?” His eyes scanned my face for any sign of a lie.

I could have slapped him. Did he really think that I would plot against him, now? “A few years back I met her at a club.”

Jane, or Joanna, looked between us with a strange expression I couldn’t understand. Liam handed her a glass of water and she began to gulp it down. “My name is Joanna, and no, Matthew doesn’t know I’m here. Actually, it’s probably best no one tells him my whereabouts.”

Xavier smirked. “Oh? So if I made a phone call…”

She didn’t even seem too fazed by his threat. “The phone call would harm all of us in here.”

My creator was now blocking my view entirely, his shoulder just covering my eyesight. What was going on? I wasn’t understanding why everyone seemed so on-edge around her. “How so?” Liam asked, a little more levelheaded than Xavier at the moment.

“Right now I need you to swear you’ll hide me away, Liam.” Her eyes were begging, yet her body seemed tense and ready to run.

“I swear.”

She let out a sigh of relief before wincing. “I need something to stop the bleeding.”

“Why would we help you?” Xavier spoke now, his tone becoming harsher by the word. I knew it was killing him to have so many people in our home now. He hated not being in control, I’m proof of that.

Joanna looked at him and then at me, her expression becoming serious. “I have some information that concerns you two. I’ll share it with you after I’m stitched up.”

Information? I didn’t even know what this could possibly be about. All Xavier and I have to worry about is the curse and Liam’s arrival, right? I looked at Xavier, grabbing his attention with my eyes. He seemed just as puzzled as me. His hand reached behind his back and gently grasped my left hip as a way either to keep me back or to comfort me. We had to find out what was going on, it was crucial. “Xavier knows how to do that kind of stuff. He has patched me up hundreds of times over the years.” I wish I was exaggerating.