(21) Sea of Red

(21) Sea of Red

My hand snaked out from under the covers and patted the space next to me, stopping when I felt skin. Without opening my eyes, I wormed my way over to him, resting my cheek on his shoulder. He pulled me into him and placed his chin on the stop of my head. This is happiness, ladies and gentlemen. My lips touched his neck as my hand ran over his chest.

“We should get ready to go,” Xavier said hoarsely, his voice thick from the sleep.

I peered up at him through my lashes. “What about the curse? I thought you said you wanted to ask Matthew about it?”

“Matthew won’t have it broken. He’s proven is loyalty thus far.”

That was true. I smashed me face into his neck and sighed. “After we get Joanna, we’ll go.”

He chuckled darkly. “We’re not taking her with us.”

I pulled away from him to stare directly down at him. “Excuse me? Yes we are!”

Xavier placed a hand on my face and stared intensely into my eyes. “No, we aren’t. She’s not our problem and she’ll only cause us trouble.”

I scowled at him and leaped from the bed. I began to gather my clothes from the floor when Xavier appeared in front of me. “She doesn’t deserve any of this. Matthew is an asshole—“

“Language,” he scolded.

“You said it yourself that Matthew is a jerk. I think we should get Joanna out of here. She deserves a chance, Xavier.”

He shook his head and began to play with my hair as if it was much more interesting than what I was saying. I pulled my hair from his grasp and gave him a look. “Glare at me all you want, my love, it changes nothing. In less than an hour we’re going to be on the road.”

I pulled on my clothes and looked at him. “Well, I guess I’ll get her out of here.”

He grasped my shoulders and forced me to look at him. “You will not. We’re leaving soon.”

He made me so mad. I shoved his hands off my shoulders and stomped away. He began hunting for his clothes when, without him knowing it, I snuck out of the room. Immediately I went down the hall and listened for a heartbeat. Finding Joanna wouldn’t be too hard considering she clicks her teeth together a lot and her heartbeats at a faster pace than most. I could hear her down the hall and in one of the rooms. Knowing that Xavier was probably about to come raging down this hall at any second, I stepped inside without knocking.

Joanna stood in front of a vanity, applying mascara to her lashes. Although I held no reflection in the mirror, Joanna tensed when I stepped in. “Matthew will be up here in a few minutes to check on me,” she said without turning to look at me.

I locked the door behind me and stepped forward. “So will Xavier.”

She spun around and looked at me with a slight smile. “We are women cursed with a shadow, aren’t we?”

Although it was a strange thing to say I understood what she meant. I could already hear my shadow leaving the bedroom. “I can get you out of here.”

She laughed lightly. “That’s cool of you and all, but I can’t.”

I looked at her in confusion. “Can’t?”

She swung her feet over the bench and walked towards me in peach dress about the same design as yesterday, only it was sleeveless and puffier at the shirting. Her hair was done in a side braid and she wore a long necklace with a purple jewel in the center. I couldn’t help but look at the outfit and see that it wasn’t her taste at all. Anyone who has seen the way she acts would know that she wouldn’t be one to wear bright dresses and jewelry. “It’s extremely complicated, just like everything in my life.”