(10) Lies We Tell

(10) Lies We Tell

Besides the ghosts and Liam, last night was unfortunately uneventful. Xavier and I were too injured to do anything fun but wash away dry blood and sleep during the day. He locked our bedroom door and pushed a dresser in front of it to keep Liam from coming in while we slept. That wouldn’t have stopped him, but it would have definitely woken us up. I also told Xavier that he needed to train me how to fight because, after all, I am the one that can hurt Liam. There wasn’t a curse or spell on me that could keep me from hurting him. We fought about it, like always, and I finally talked some sense into him that I needed protection.

My arm was almost healed, as well as my scars. I drank so much blood the night before that it made me heal twice as fast as usual. If the wounds weren’t so big, and if it was just a fracture and not a clean break in my arm, I would have healed in a day. “Hand me some jeans, will you?” I asked Xavier as I pulled my hair up into a ponytail.

Xavier tossed me the jeans and a simple black t-shirt that pretty much had a turtleneck. How did I have this? I didn’t even question him on it because I knew why he gave it to me, and that I was already pushing my luck with the training. I pulled it on and cast a smile his way before helping him pull furniture away from the door. He grasped my hand and made sure I stayed close before we went out the door and down the stairs with caution. It was weird, the first thing I smelled when we entered the living room was coffee. I loved the smell of it, always have, but it was strange because Xavier hated it and never drank it. Being a vampire, you can drink any liquid, and coffee was one of my favorites. But, again, I never got to drink it because Xavier hated it and never wanted it around. So how did the coffee get here?

We entered the kitchen, taken aback by what we were seeing. Liam stood over the stove with a frying pan, cooking an omelet. He looked over at us and smiled. “Good night,” he greeted as if this were normal.

“Are you cooking?” I asked in astonishment.

“Not for me, it’s for Zulu.” He gave a nod towards a woman who sat at the tiny table in the corner.

“Nice to meet you,” Zulu said, her dark eyes like a cat’s.

I took a breath and smelled warm blood, pumping in her veins. She s middle aged and rather pretty for a human. Her skin was sun kissed and smooth while her lips were ruby red, like mine. She had hair about as long as mine, though her was as black as ink and as straight as an arrow. Why would he bring a human here?

“Zulu is my own personal blood source. I like mine fresh and A negative.” Liam put the omelet on a plate and sat it in front of Zulu.

She smiled and took a bite of her food. I found this oddly entertaining, to watch her eat. I noticed the bite marks on her neck, wrists, and even around her thighs—she wore shorts, which I found weird considering they showed the marks.

“So I have someone to kill. Lovely,” Xavier murmured with a sickening grin.

Liam smiled back and poured Zulu some orange juice. “If you want to, I don’t care. If I try to stop you it’s only because I don’t want to go out and find another girl with her blood type.”

Xavier scowled, his plans ruined.

“My witch should be here soon. I thought I should inform you.” Liam grabbed Zulu’s arm and bit into her wrist with ease, dripping blood onto the table.

I moved past Xavier and grabbed a blood bag out of the fridge. Seeing a warm body was making me a bit thirsty. Liam, being very observant, let go of her wrist and watched my movement with an intense gaze. Xavier, also being very observant, watched Liam with intensity in his eyes.