(9) Guests

(9) Guests

I wasn’t sure what to expect. Xavier seemed so defensive and furious that I thought they were about to ram into each other and bleed everywhere. But no, they didn’t even lunge at each other. Liam, the mystery man, simply towered over Xavier with a type of authority and calmness. His dark hair was short and wind-blown, so that meant he must be a quick vampire. I stayed close to my maker, my own fangs extending as I readied for a blow.

“What the hell do you want?” Xavier roared, his chest rumbled with growls, yet he never made a move towards Liam.

Liam smiled, his fangs sliding back into his gums. “Can I not visit my friend?” His voice was filled with a sickening fake kindness.

“We’ve never been friends.”

“Ah, you’re quite right. Isn’t obvious why I’m here then, hmm?”

Xavier relaxed and straightened his stance, his fangs also retreating, and so did mine when I saw him calm down. “I have a few theories.”

Liam nodded and fell back onto the couch with a plop. He kicked his feet up onto the coffee table and looked completely relaxed, as if he were on vacation. “Well then, where are my manners? Who is the beautiful goddess behind you, Xavier?” His intense blue eyes fell on me, curiosity burning in them.

Xavier wrapped an arm around my waist in a protective way. “You haven’t heard through the grape vine about her? Well, she’s none of your concern.”

Liam scowled, unbuttoning his dark suit jacket as he kept his eyes on me. “I don’t listen to gossip amongst the worthless. It’s fowl and usually filled with lies. You need to relax, it’s not like I will hurt you.”

“True. But I’ll never put my guard down around you. Lucy, take a seat beside me.” I was pulled down onto the couch and sat with Xavier between me and Liam. I didn’t complain because something about this guy made my skin crawl.

“Lucy, is it? Very pleased to meet you,” Liam said with his hand extended out to shake.

Xavier looked as if he’d bite it off, so I didn’t shake it. “What do you want?” he demanded harshly.

“Elizabeth. The word on the street says that you finally released her, hmm?”

This was about Elizabeth, the nut job who tried killing me? No wonder why I felt so weird about this guy. Although he had a gentleman way about him, there was no mistaking his calm exterior. He was dangerous, I could feel it. What would he want with a crazy woman?

“I thought you didn’t listen to gossip.” Xavier tilted his head to the side with a dangerous smile on his face.

Liam raised an eyebrow, a dangerous smile of his own formed on his lips. “Only when it concerns me.”

“Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I haven’t the slightest clue as to where she is.”

It was the truth, of course, but Liam obviously didn’t believe this.

“Oh? It’s not like you to just release your creator into the wild without tracking her, Xavier. If memory serves me correctly, you were obsessed with her back in the day.”

I stiffened, hating how this made me feel. Oh how I wished I would have staked her when I had the chance…

“I’m sorry, but I have other interests now.” Xavier’s arm tightened around me.

Liam’s eyes flashed to my waist, noticing Xavier’s movement. He raised an eyebrow and sat up. “I see. She must be quite something if you’ve forgotten about our creator entirely.”