(19) Matthew

(19) Matthew

“Married? Are you sure?” I questioned Xavier as we sped down the road.

He sighed dramatically. “For the seventeenth time, yes.”

It was just too much to take in. One second Joanna shows up at the door with wounds and stories I had difficulty believing, and the next I learn that the person she is fleeing from is her own husband! “It’s just that it’s so weird, like a soap opera. She’s human, he’s a vampire, and they’re married! When did this happen?”

He shrugged, clearly becoming frustrated with this topic. “A year or so ago.”

“Did they have like a real wedding? One with a cake and a priest?”

“Lucy…”

I leaned my head back against the chair. “I’m just curious. This is the biggest news in the vampire world I’ve ever heard. Well, between that and our story. That’s been talked about for decades, apparently.”

Xavier grinned as if it were a compliment. Our story was told as a love story. At Matthew’s ball a few weeks ago, our story was one of tragedy, filled with shocking twists such as a murder of someone apparently pretty high in the vampire world. “I believe they did have an actual wedding. I was invited but I only stopped by for a few minutes.”

Xavier was there? “How come you never told me any of this?” I demanded.

“Because I don’t particularly like Joanna. Plus you should have known after all of the perverted jokes I made.”

Was I that unobservant? Here I’ve been thinking that Matthew was after Joanna strictly for what she had stolen. But was this all out of love? I’velived through the dangers of love. I’ve been in her shoes before. Yet several things didn’t make any sense. Why would Joanna marry Matthew and try to run away from him a year later? “So Matthew wants her back because he loves her or something twisted? Is he, like, possessive of her?” It was an awkward question to ask the most possessive man alive.

“It’s not twist,” he replied flatly. “I doubt that’s the case, anyway. There’s something more to their story. Her still being human is what really baffles me.”

I admit, it was pretty puzzling to know that Joanna was still human. What did they marry for? “It’s obvious she doesn’t love him. The language she used when mentioning his name said it all. Do you think he loves her?”

Xavier was messing with the radio as if to drown me out. “I think he does. Matthew is such a complicated man. I’ve known him for decades, and I would have never thought of him to be the type to stab his friends in the back.” His hands gripped the steering wheel tighter. “I am far more interested in what he has planned for me and you than with their issues.”

I relaxed in my seat, my mind still swirling with questions about her and Matthew. “So far we know that he wanted me dead. Why?”

He didn’t say anything. His eyes stayed on the road with his hands still gripping the steering wheel way too tightly.

“Did you, um, kill someone he loved or something?” I whispered. It was an honest question. Why did Liam want to take me from Xavier? Xavier had taken the one Liam loved from him, of course. So what better payback than to return the favor, no matter who else is involved?

Xavier glanced at me with wide eyes. “Why would you ask that?”

I looked away from him and at the road. “I was just wondering if this was an act of revenge, is all. I mean, you’ve done it before who knows how many times.”