𝐓𝐖𝐎: jealousy

Honestly, the month before the Olympics are the most nerve-wracking.

Which is precisely why Yuzuru shouldn't be thinking about anything other than his programs and the gold medal that's just within his grasp.

But he finds his thoughts constantly trailing back to you - even when you're not around him (which is rare, to be fair.) Wherever he goes, his mind is plagued with thoughts of you. He doesn't quite mind, though - he's more than happy to have the thought of you constantly in his mind.

If someone thought that you leaving the rink would help him focus better, they're sorely mistaken. Yuzuru would just be missing you, wishing you were there to watch him.

Love is a crazy thing, Yuzuru thinks. How your mere presence could have such a profound impact on him is insane. He feels like he could erupt into flames when your hand brushes his, he feels the overwhelming urge to just lean in and connect your lips together when your face is just a little two close to his, and how he feels like he can't even think - or breathe, when he gazes at your face for a little too long.

When did it come to this? When did he start not being able to form coherent sentences when talking to his best friend, out of all people? It's like his brain hotwires - he's left mumbling, stuttering and murmuring when you ask him the simplest of questions. Of course, it's hard to nonchalantly brush your queries about why he's so nervous when he reacts like that. But then again, he can't tell you that he's in love with you - not yet.

This is not the right time.

He has the Olympics to focus on.

The gold medal is just within his reach, and just the thought of confessing makes Yuzuru's stomach do a flip. Nervousness bubbles up inside of him, and just the thought of being rejected and possibly changing the entire trajectory of your relationship forever just makes him feel like he wants to throw up.

He can't lose you.

Which is why he'll love you silently. He'll whisper confessions to you under his breath, making sure that you can't hear. He'll gaze at you like you're holding the universe in your hands, but looking away when you notice him staring. Nobody has to know - well, he isn't exactly the best at hiding how smitten he is for you, considering how... majority of his skater friends know. But if you don't know, at least your friendship wouldn't be at risk.

He sighs at the thought, gliding across the ice before landing the quadruple toe loop. "Good job, Yuzu!" Brian says, and a small, triumphant grin makes its way to Yuzuru's lips - but the first thing he does after he lands the jump is turn to look at your reaction. You're smiling, your eyes curved into crescents as you give him a thumbs up.

The tip of his ears turn bright red, and light pink dusts his cheeks once again - he'll blame it on how cold the rink is, but he knows that nobody really believes him.

Practicing his short program and free program goes well for the rest of the training session, and like always, you're perched on the bleachers reading a book and occasionally scrolling on your phone as you wait for him to be finished with training so you two can go get a snack.

It's tradition now, almost - you wait for Yuzuru to finish training, and you two head to the local bakery together. You two have done this ever since you were kids, buying bread and occasionally some drinks. Whenever you two went to pay, the owners of the bakery always asked you two when you would start dating, or if you two were already dating.

Much to their disappointment (and Yuzuru's), the answer had always been no.

As he finishes practicing Seimei, he hears a giggle come from where you're sitting. He turns his head to look in your direction with a questioning expression, and he notices another skater sitting next to you, moving his arms animatedly as he speaks. His words elicit another loud laugh from you, and Yuzuru furrows his eyebrows.