𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍: warning sign

After the dinner, Haruto pulls Xinyu and Shiyue over for a chat as you and Yuzuru head to the convenience store, saying that you two will catch up with them when you're done.

Shiyue looks at Xinyu with an uneasy expression. "What's up?" Xinyu asks, and Haruto taps his foot anxiously on the floor.

"You're close with (Name), right?" he asks.

Xinyu furrows an eyebrow. "Yeah?" He looks over at Shiyue, confused - why would he be asking that when he had literally just been having dinner with you and Yuzuru?

"Um... I was wondering - since I... like her... what would be the best way to... you know, tell her?"

Xinyu gapes at him.

Shiyue blankly stares, already knowing that was what Haruto was going to ask as he had already pulled her aside for a chat during dinner.

Xinyu doesn't know how to respond.

Because he knows that Yuzuru likes you, and he has for a long time - but then Haruto swoops in, trying to gain your affection. And Xinyu doesn't even know if Haruto knows you well enough, and considering how he didn't know the best way to confess already is somewhat of a warning sign.

He knows how Yuzuru feels about you. He sees the giddy smiles on Yuzuru's lips whenever you're around, he sees the longing looks he gives you when you're standing in the crowd, and he sees how Yuzuru completely forgets everybody else around him when you're talking to him, gazing at you with a sincerity Yuzuru's never shown to anyone else but you.

But Xinyu doesn't really know how you feel. You've never explicitly said anything about your feelings for Yuzuru. You've probably told him when you both were absolutely shit-faced drunk, but it's not like he remembers any of that. He has a hunch, and his hunch is that you feel the same - but he's not sure, and that's the biggest problem.

Xinyu has been rooting for you and Yuzuru to be together ever since he saw you two walk into the rink side by side. To be completely honest, he thought you two were already dating until you had clarified that you two were just good friends.

But it's so extremely clear to him that you two are made for one another. You two are somewhat polar opposites, but that's what makes your dynamic so good - you balance each other out. And Xinyu only wishes that the day where you two finally get together comes sooner.

"Xinyu?"

Haruto's voice snaps Xinyu out of his thoughts.

"Um... honestly? I don't really know how to answer this one." he says. Truthfully, he just wants Haruto to not to it. Because even calculating the chances, Xinyu is sure that the odds are not in Haruto's favour - you seem to barely know Haruto, and knowing you, you just wouldn't be interested without getting to know someone on a deeper level.

"Oh..." Haruto says, dejected. "Do you have any some sort of ideas of what I should do? Or if I should ask anyone else?"

Haruto's best bet is Yuzuru. Yuzuru knows you like the back of his own hand, but would Yuzuru even help him? Xinyu decides that Yuzuru probably wouldn't - not only because he's pining for you too, but also because he's completely focused on winning. Xinyu doesn't want anything to break his focus or ruin his mood - and this could certainly do the trick.

"Honestly, just say what you feel, man. I'm sure she'd appreciate sincerity. Anyone does." Xinyu says, and Haruto nods.

"Shiyue? Do you have any... input here?" Xinyu looks at his partner, who shakes her head quickly. Honestly, both of them are just waiting for you and Yuzuru to return because the atmosphere has gotten increasingly awkward.

Haruto's eyes light up when he sees you walk across the street, plastic bags filled with snacks and drinks in them as Yuzuru walks next to you, talking about something as you seem to listen intently.

"Yuzu! (Name)!" Shiyue calls out, relieved that the awkward moment between her, Xinyu and Haruto was finally over. All Shiyue can do is wish the best for Haruto, even if she's 99% sure that it will end in disaster for him.

"Hi! I got some drinks, like iced tea, and just some chips and other stuff. You guys can take some, and save it for the practice tomorrow! You can take a couple bites when you have a break." you grin, and Yuzuru looks at you adoringly (Xinyu doesn't miss that look, and he smirks at him.)

Be careful, Xinyu mouths at Yuzuru. Yuzuru looks at his friend, confused. Xinyu tilts his head slightly towards Haruto, and Yuzuru doesn't even need Xinyu to say a word before he understands.

Yuzuru doesn't know what Haruto is planning - but jealousy and anger is already coursing through his veins, and he hates it, yet he can't help it. He supposes that this is what it's like when it comes to being in love.

But then again, he reminds himself that he can do nothing. If Haruto does end up saying anything to you, you can make your own judgement - even if it ends up breaking Yuzuru's heart, he'll be able to handle it (he thinks. he's not quite entirely sure.)

You soon realise that Yuzuru hasn't been in the conversation much, and you give him a bottle of iced tea, which he gratefully accepts. "You feeling excited for practice tomorrow?"

"Yeah," Yuzuru responds, taking a sip out of the iced tea. "What about you guys?" he asks the other skaters, who all nod.

You grin, giving them all a thumbs up. "Good luck!" you say, and Yuzuru's face brightens at your smile, which also doesn't go unnoticed by Xinyu and Shiyue, who share a little smile.

"We'll probably be heading off now! Going to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow," Xinyu says, checking the time on his phone.

"That sounds good," Yuzuru responds. He nudges you slightly on your shoulder, and you nod. "Yeah. Sounds cool. Rest well!" you say, waving to everyone before you all part.

"Night, (Name)!" Haruto says, turning to you with a grin on his lips. "Goodnight, Haruto. Get some good rest," you respond.

Yuzuru reaches out for your hand and locks his pinkie with yours, and of course you don't react in any sort of dramatic way (since you're used to it) but on the inside, you're freaking out.

And when you and Yuzuru are back at the hotel, you fall asleep dreaming of Yuzuru, and little do you know that he dreams of you too.