𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑: quad jump

Today's practice does not go as smoothly as Yuzuru would like it to be.

Pain pangs in his ankle, and he hisses as he lands the quadruple salchow, his eyebrows knitted together in pain. He's fallen too many times today - too many times than he'd like to, and he notices the worried expression on your face as you watch him skate.

He gives you a thumbs up to reassure you, but he can tell that you're not convinced.

He notices how Haruto enters the rink, and if Yuzuru's thought that his mood couldn't possibly get worse, it somehow does. Haruto's eyes light up when he sees you sitting there on the benches, even if he falters slightly when he notices how you're gazing intently at Yuzuru, worry evident on your face.

"Hi," Haruto says to you, getting your attention. You turn to give him a small nod in acknowledgement, greeting him with a wave before averting your attention back to Yuzuru. "How's your day going?" he asks you, and you shrug, eyes still fixated onto Yuzuru.

"It's been okay. I'm worried about Yuzu." you say, biting on your bottom lip anxiously as you watch your best friend land another quad jump, wincing as he stumbles slightly on the landing.

"Why?" Haruto asks, eyebrow raised. "He seems fine."

"He had a bad ankle injury a couple months ago," you say, and Haruto nods in understanding. "I mean, you'd understand - you skate too. You know how bad injuries sometimes get."

"You seem to care a lot about him." Haruto comments, and you nod, a smile gracing your lips. "I do. We've been friends for years, how could I not?" you chuckle, watching as Yuzuru practices the choreo sequence for Seimei.

"Ah, I see."

"He takes care of me quite a lot too. I mean... I get shit-face drunk at banquets and everything, and he's always taken care of me after. You know... hangovers." you laugh, and Haruto nods. "I'm pretty sure I've puked on him once - he refuses to answer yes or no whenever I ask."

Haruto responds with a laugh, but it somehow seems forced. Maybe he just wasn't interested in your relationship with Yuzuru, you think. You don't really care, though.

But to Yuzuru, who can't hear what you and Haruto are talking about, it seems like you two are having a particularly meaningful conversation - and his mood is ruined once again. He can't seem to stop the feeling called jealousy coursing through his veins, and he absolutely hates it. He shouldn't care this much. You two are just talking, it's not like it really matters. It doesn't matter.

He shouldn't care this much over some other guy trying to win your affections. He should be focusing on winning Olympic gold.

He sighs for the millionth time today, before preparing himself to do another quad jump.

This time, he falls.

He should've taken some painkillers today. The pain is beginning to become unbearable, and he's sure that the fall would've made the healing process worse. He sits on the ice for a bit, clutching his ankle in pain.

You immediately jump out of your seat when you see Yuzuru's body coming into contact with the ice, your eyebrows furrowed in worry as you dig through your backpack for the painkillers that Yuzuru usually takes. You rush towards the vending machine, Haruto confused at why you're practically running around everywhere.

Barely seconds later, you return to the bench with a bottle of water in your hands. "Yuzu!" you say, and he looks up. You point to the water bottle in your hands, and he reluctantly gets up, skating over to where you are.

"Careful," you say, helping him out of the rink (he doesn't need your help, but he lets you help him anyways.) You bring him over to the bench you were sitting on, and Haruto steps aside. Handing him one of the painkillers from the packet and the water bottle, he swallows the pill as you place your hand on his shoulder.

He nearly chokes on the pill at the sudden contact, even if he already knows how you usually show affection and should be used to it by now.

"You okay?" you ask, and he nods, giving you a thumbs up. "Yeah. Just not feeling the best today, I don't think. Maybe it's the weather." he jokes, and you sigh, your lips pursed.

"You wanna go home earlier today?" you ask, and Yuzuru ponders your question for a moment.

"Okay."

You nod, murmuring to him that you'll go grab his bag for him. He thanks you silently, and a smile creeps up onto his lips knowing that you care for him. You remind him of the fact often, but he can't help how his heart just does a flip when you do something nice for him.

"You two seem like close friends." Haruto pipes up, bitterness evident in his tone and Yuzuru furrows his eyebrows. "We are... is that a problem?" Yuzuru retorts. He was never rude to Haruto in the first place (he might not have liked him, but he was never rude), and he really didn't appreciate Haruto's tone.

"No, no." Haruto says, but it's clear that he's insincere.

"Are you going to the Olympics?" Yuzuru asks, deciding to change the topic - he doesn't like it when it's awkward. He might not like Haruto, but he doesn't want to be all cold and condescending.

"Yeah." Short worded answers seemed to be Haruto's speciality.

Only when it came to Yuzuru though, it seems. Yuzuru has noticed that Haruto seems to have so much to say to you, but barely anything to say to him. Strange, Yuzuru thinks.

But not really - it's clear that Haruto is pining for your affections, and the other skater just can't seem to stand how much you care about Yuzuru.

"Hey!" you say, and you can sense that the atmosphere with Yuzuru and Haruto is quite tense. "Got your bag," you say, plopping it down onto the floor as Yuzuru gives you a grateful smile. Haruto turns to you, a smile on his lips.

"Are you free anytime soon?" he asks, and Yuzuru's ears immediately perk up. Don't get jealous, he reminds himself.

"Uh... when do you mean by 'soon'?" you inquire, taking a sip of water from your water bottle. "Just like... anytime you're free." he says, a bit more awkwardly compared to when he asked the first question.

"I suppose I am...? I'll get back to you on dates the next time I come to the rink."

"And when will that be?"

"I'm here almost everyday, Haruto. I wait for Yuzu to finish practicing and then we go to the bakery, and then we go home." you chuckle, and Haruto raises an eyebrow when you specifically say the word 'home'.

"You two... live together?" he asks, pointing to you, then to Yuzuru.

"Yeah." he says, zipping up his bag. "Moved in together when we were eighteen." he taps you on the shoulder, telling you that he's ready to go.

"We should get going now!" you say to Haruto, picking up your own bag. Haruto nods, his lips pressed together in a thin line - he's not too pleased with your sudden departure and now knowing that you and Yuzuru live together. He'd expected you two to be close, but not that close.

Yuzuru purses his lips as he exits the rink, you trailing behind him. "Woah there, Yuzu - don't walk so fast! Wait for me," you say, a smile on your lips. "Sorry." he chuckles.

"Plus, your ankle isn't exactly in the best condition. Take it slow."

"I will, (Name). But the Olympics is soon, and I have to train-"

"Shh! You will have time to train, Yuzu - but your ankle... needs healing." you say, and when Yuzuru looks at you, all he can see is concern on your face. He can't help but feel bad for making you worry about him, and he locks his pinky with yours.

"I will take it slow. I promise."