𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍: gold

What is gold to Yuzuru Hanyu?

Medals of the gilded colour stacked neatly into his drawer, and his Olympic one hanging right on the shelf. Gold, to most people, means winning, and Yuzuru likes to win.

Gold adorns his costumes, sequins in that exact colour carefully sewed onto the fabric as he smooths down his shirt.

Gold is also just within his reach. He can almost feel the medal being hung around his neck - he is so close to his second Olympic gold.

"What're you thinking about?" you ask him, snapping him out of his thoughts. He hugs a Winnie the Pooh plushie close to his chest, and smiles. "Winning."

"I'm sure you will, Yuzu." you say, patting his head. His heart thumps loudly in his chest, and he can only smile in response to you, in fear of stammering and stumbling over his words like a lovesick fool.

"Your ankle okay?" you hum, and Yuzuru nods. He took painkillers this morning, and though he can't feel much of the pain now - he knows he will when he's skating. He'll just have to... tough it out, he supposes - gold is so close, if he just reaches out, the medal will be in his grasp.

"Not too bad," he says. "If I win, let's go get some celebratory cake."

He's really a simple guy. He isn't the type for some sort of lavish ceremony or party when he wins, really, he just wants to spend some time with you.

"Uh, uh. Not if you win - when you win." you correct him, and Yuzuru chuckles. "Okay, my number one fan." he quips, and you smile.

"Always. You're going to crush it out there."

"Yuzu, you'll be on the ice soon." Brian tells him, and Yuzuru nods. Yuzuru starts jogging on the spot to warm up, and you watch him with an amused smile.

"I'll be waiting here with Pooh-san, like usual." you say, taking the plushie with a grin. "You better be," Yuzuru says. The first thing he wants to do when he gets off that ice is wrap you into his arms.

You look out at the spectators, seeing tons and tons of Winnie the Pooh plushies and you grin. "There's a lot of your fans out there, Yuzu."

"Ha, really?"

"I see... so many Poohs."

"Yuzu, it's time." Brian interrupts your conversation, and Yuzuru nods. You quickly reach out to clasp Yuzuru's hand in yours, and his eyes widen. "You're going to do great."

Your hand in his just feels right. He doesn't ever want to let go.

But he does.

He gives you one last grin before skating out onto the ice, and you stand next to Brian once again, Winnie the Pooh in your arms.

You hear cheers from the audience, and Yuzuru hasn't even started performing.

When the music starts, you notice the quick change in his expression. He's playing a character, his expression stern and his eyebrows knit together.

Your stomach does a flip, and your heart thumps against your chest.

You hold your breath every single time when Yuzuru does a jump, and when he nearly falls on one of them you almost let out an audible gasp. All you can think about is whether is ankle is okay or not.

You bite your lower lip in nervousness, but your anxiousness quickly dissipates when you see a smile on Yuzuru's face - he's broken character, and you don't need to even ask to know that he's feeling delighted with his performance.

Your best friend just secured his second Olympic
gold.

And you couldn't be happier for him.

When he finishes his program, the crowd erupts into applause. The largest smile makes its way onto your best friend's lips, and you can't help but join the crowd in cheering loudly. Winnie the Pooh plushies fly down from every single direction, and it doesn't stop.

Yuzuru skates around the rink, joy evident on his features. He knows he's just won gold, and everyone else does too.

He bows once more before leaving the ice, and he's immediately greeted with your arms wrapped around him. Winnie the Pooh's been... flung over, somewhere in the midst of both your excitement (you make a mental note to apologise to the stuffed animal later.)

"I did it," Yuzuru whispers, and if it's even possible, you manage to pull him closer to you. "Yeah. You did it, Yuzu." you respond, the volume of your voice matching his.

When you part, he notices the way your eyes shine with adoration for him - and there his heart goes again, pounding against his chest.

You manage to notice the adoration in Yuzuru's eyes for you too, and you beam. You cup his cheek with your hand, and Yuzuru's face turns bright red.

"I'm so, incredibly proud of you."

Yuzuru feels like he's about to combust on the spot.

Brian (even if he wants Yuzuru to spend some time with you) has to tell you both that Yuzuru needs to go to the Kiss and Cry to get his scores now. He leaves you, albeit unwillingly, and he tells himself that he'll be the one to hug you when he returns.

206.17, is the score for his free skate.

For a total of 317.85, Yuzuru Hanyu just won his second Olympic gold.

His eyes well up in tears from joy, and god, he's never felt this happy. When he rushes back to see you, he quite literally swoops you off his feet, spinning you around in joy. You nearly yelp at the sudden realisation that you've been lifted off the ground, but when you see Yuzuru's overjoyed expression you can't help but mirror it as well.

You also don't quite realise that his face is mere inches from yours.

"You won!" you beam, and Yuzuru nods.

"Gold," he murmurs.

Gold, to Yuzuru Hanyu, is his latest Olympic medal. Gold is standing on that pedestal, in first place, with the glory of winning and the proof of it hung around his neck. But gold is also the feeling of joy, excitement and elation.

So, to Yuzuru Hanyu, gold, is also you.