𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍: thin ice

Yuzuru sits patiently at the foot of his bed, waiting for you to finish doing your makeup. You two are about to go see Xinyu and Shiyue for the first time in months, so you had told him that you wanted to look pretty for tonight.

You always look pretty to him.

He checks his phone for the time, and you emerge from the bathroom, smacking your lips together so the lip gloss is applied evenly.

"Let's go, huh?" you say, slinging your bag over one shoulder.

Yuzuru doesn't say anything because he's too busy staring at how beautiful you look.

Your eyelids are dusted with the faintest shimmer of eyeshadow, accentuating your features. Your lips are tinted this pinkish-red colour, and in this moment Yuzuru really wants nothing more than to kiss you right now.

You're also wearing the dress that he got you for your birthday last year. It's a simple black dress with silver accents, which you've paired with black heels and silver jewellery. He spots the silver ring that you'd gotten for each of you on your 10 year friendship anniversary on your ring finger, and he smiles.

You're absolutely stunning, and Yuzuru finds his heart doing a flip as he gulps.

"Yuzu?" you say, waving your hand in front of him to snap him out of his daze.

"Hi. Sorry," he says, somewhat dazedly. He can't stop staring at you, and you chuckle. "Do I look that good?" you joke, and Yuzuru nods his head.

You're suddenly taken aback, not expecting such a response. Your face heats up, and you look away from him nervously. "Oh... um... thanks."

"You're welcome," Yuzuru says, a grin on his lips. He opens the door, motioning for you to head out before him. He slips the key card into his pocket, and he follows you to the elevator.

"Is the restaurant far from here?" you ask, and Yuzuru shakes his head. "Xinyu says it's about a five minute walk," he responds, and you let out a small 'ah' in realisation.

You link your pinky with his, and when the elevator doors open, you pick up your pace, and Yuzuru is startled by the sudden change in speed.

And your pinky being linked with his. But really, he's used to it.

He just can't help how his heart flutters at your touch.

"Why are you walking so fast?" Yuzuru asks, and you turn your head to look back at him and smile.

"I'm hungry!" you grin.

That's partly the truth - really, you just want to hold Yuzuru's hand. But you're too scared to, so you settle with linking pinkies like you two have always done. It wouldn't raise suspicion from Yuzuru that you might like him.

Yuzuru sighs, and he begins to match his pace to yours. Soon enough, you both arrive at the restaurant. He notices how your hair's slightly messy, and he brushes a stray strand of hair behind you ear and runs his fingers through your hair to smooth it out.

You feel like your hearts about to explode out of your chest. You're sure it's beating so fast to the point that Yuzuru might be able to heart your heartbeat at this point.

"Table for?" the lady at the reception asks.

"It's under Liu Xinyu? Table for 4, I believe." Yuzuru responds, and the lady nods with a smile. "Apparently it's 5 now, so the table's been changed a bit - I'll bring you to your table."

"5?" you tilt your head questionably. "Did Xinyu or Shiyue invite someone else?" you ask, and Yuzuru shrugs.

"Must be," Yuzuru responds.

The lady brings you to the table, and you're greeted with the smiling faces of Xinyu and Shiyue, friends that you haven't seen in quite a while. "It's so good to see you!" Shiyue beams, and you smile back at her.

"It is!" you respond, and you look to your left to see Yuzuru hugging Xinyu. "Oh, and I brought you guys a little something."

You take out a two bags with sake gift boxes inside, handing one to Shiyue and one to Xinyu. "Just a gift, since we haven't seen each other in so long." You beam, and they both accept the gifts happily.

"Thank you so much, (Name)!" Xinyu says cheerfully. "This is perfect - you know me so well." he gives you a thumbs up - you two are basically drinking buddies at this point, and god knows what you two talk to each other about when you're absolutely hammered (because you sure don't, and neither does Xinyu.)

"Oh, and! Another friend of ours joined us, you might know them? Haruto's skating at the Olympics this year too - I heard you guys were on the same plane?" Shiyue says, and it is only then when you realise that Haruto is here.

You wave at him, and you don't notice how Yuzuru doesn't look pleased at all when he sees Haruto there.

"(Name), you look so beautiful!" Haruto says, and you smile at him gratefully. You suddenly remember how you know that he likes you - you don't want to be mean by shutting him down, but you also don't want to lead him on either.

"Thank you." you respond, and Shiyue wiggles her eyebrows at you. You give her a look that says don't, and she just shrugs.

Yuzuru doesn't miss the way Haruto's looking at you with such adoration in his eyes, and Xinyu sees it too. He gives Yuzuru a strange look, as if to tell him that he can't wait any longer.

Yuzuru knows Xinyu is right - if he doesn't say anything, he could lose you.

And he wouldn't dare let that happen.

"And your necklace is so pretty. You're really pretty." The compliments from Haruto seem to never end, and all you can do is respond with a smile.

Yuzuru glares daggers at Haruto. It's like he's telling him that he's on thin ice, and Yuzuru wouldn't quite mind stepping on that ice with his skates so that Haruto falls.

Anyone can notice the tenseness in the air between Yuzuru and Haruto, but thankfully Xinyu breaks the silence by asking everyone about what they think will happen at the Olympics.

Dinner goes smoothly for the most part, until Haruto calls Shiyue over to have a chat. One on one, and when Shiyue returns, she mouths a couple words to you.

I think he really likes you.

Yuzuru doesn't miss this. He's sure that Haruto's going to confess to you soon. His stomach feels all funny, like he's about to throw up?

Why should he care? He can't stop Haruto from
liking you. Why is he getting mad over things he can't control?

Practice starts tomorrow, and it is no use getting angry and possibly losing focus just because of Haruto. He needs to win the gold - then he'll confess. It will be the right time.

He watches as your eyebrows furrow, a frown on your lips. I don't think I feel the same.

Why not?

Shiyue asks, even if she knows the answer.

The answer is because you're hopelessly smitten with the man sitting right next to you - your best friend, Yuzuru.

But he is about to compete in the most important competition ever, and aim for a second gold medal. You will wait, you decide. You will wait until he is ready - whenever that may be.

And that whenever may be earlier than you think.