𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄: social butterfly

It's not often when you're found without Yuzuru by your side.

But today, he decided to stay home - his ankle's in too much pain, and much to his disappointment, he had to skip out on practice today.

You two were set to see Kaori today, who happened to be visiting Sendai. Yuzuru, despite not wanting you to leave his side, had told you to just go visit Kaori by yourself - which to be fair, wasn't a bad idea, considering how you and Kaori were close friends.

So, you find yourself walking down one of the busy streets of Sendai with Kaori next to you, a cup of bubble tea in your hand as you take a sip through the straw. "This is good," you hum, and Kaori nods, taking a sip out of her own cup.

"How's everything been? I haven't seen you or Yuzu for a while now. Olympics practice is really taking up most of his time, huh?" Kaori asks, and you nod, a small smile on your lips. "Yeah. His ankle doesn't seem to be doing well, so he's resting at home today."

Kaori purses her lips, her eyebrows furrowed in concern. "The injury from November still hasn't healed?"

You shake your head, sighing. "No, it hasn't. I'm worried, and he said he'd take it slow - but you know how he is."

"Mhm," Kaori responds, and she notices the worried look on your face - you've been so preoccupied with making sure Yuzuru's okay.

"So, how's your practice going?" you ask Kaori, changing the topic, and her eyes crinkle into crescents as she smiles. "Good! First Olympics... kind of nervous."

"You'll do great, Kao," you beam, and she murmurs a thank you. "Oh, and dinner with everyone is always a blast."

"I've heard," Kaori chuckles. "Yuzu says you always get drunk whenever he brings you as a plus one."

You laugh, nodding your head. "I do. Xinyu and I do drinking competitions."

"You and Yuzu truly are polar opposites," Kaori comments, and you laugh once again. "That is... very true."

Compared to Yuzuru and his introverted personality, you're rather quite the outgoing type. You're easygoing, more than okay to start a conversation with someone you barely know, and you're practically a social butterfly. I mean, you're close with most (if not all) of the skaters that you meet at gala dinners when Yuzuru brings you along with him.

Meanwhile, Yuzuru's more reserved, quiet, and he'd really just rather hang out with only you instead of a bunch of other people. But perhaps you sometimes do bring out the extrovert in him - you always include him in conversations, making sure he isn't left out.

But also referring to the fact that Yuzuru doesn't drink (he's allergic) and you... who drinks pretty often. Every gala dinner you're invited to and if Xinyu's there - you can bet that there's going to be a drinking competition. It immediately becomes one of the most exciting events of the night, and Yuzuru just thinks about how he'll have to take care of you when you two get back to your hotel room once again.

He's pretty much an expert at dealing with hangovers now.

As you chat with Kaori, you can't help but notice a familiar figure walk down the street in the opposite direction. You brush it off, though - choosing to listen to Kaori talk about her program for the Olympics.

"(Name)?"

You turn to look who's stopped you and Kaori in your tracks, and you meet eyes with Haruto.

So he was the familiar figure you noticed, you think. "Haruto! It's nice to see you," you say, and Kaori just stands there, listening to you and Haruto interact.

"Didn't see you at the rink today." he says, and you notice that he's holding his skating bag. "Oh, yeah - Yuzu decided to skip today, and I'm spending some time with Kaori since she's in the city today." you say, gesturing to your friend beside you.

"Ah... nice to finally meet you, Kaori." Haruto says, beaming. Kaori returns the gesture, before proceeding to sip on her bubble tea. Haruto's attention reverts back to you. "No Yuzuru with you today. That's a rare sight to see."

He looks almost... more excited than usual today. More interested.

Maybe more hopeful.

"I suppose so." you respond, looking down at your shoes. "Hey, about you being free... do you have a date, or a time?" he asks, and you look up. "I think I can do Saturday?"

"Saturday?" Haruto asks, and Kaori finds it strange how you don't seem to notice the way his eyes light up slightly. "Yeah. Saturday." you confirm.

"Sounds good... um... where will we meet?" Haruto asks, and Kaori nudges you on the shoulder slightly. This must be a tad bit awkward for her, and since you haven't seen her much, you figure that you shouldn't make plans with someone else right now.

"You know what...? Could you just give me your number or something, and we could talk then? Kaori and I have got somewhere to be." you say, pulling your phone out of your jeans pocket.

If it's possible, Haruto's smile gets even wider. "Sure!" he says, and he types his number into your phone. You click save onto the contact, and nod. "Thanks," you smile. "We'll be off now!"

"Of course! I'll text you soon!" Haruto says, beaming at you once again. You return the gesture, before walking away from him, Kaori following you.

"Was that... a date?" Kaori asks you, raising an eyebrow. "No!" you immediately blurt out. "I barely know the guy... but he's going to the Olympics, so I might as well get to know him."

"You and your social butterfly tendencies. Come on, the guy's obviously interested in you." she says, and you sigh. "I'm not... interested in him."

"But what if he thinks it's a date?"

"It's not a date, Kao - it's just me getting to know him. If he thinks it is, I'll tell him that it's not." you say, and Kaori purses her lips.

"You know... I always thought you and Yuzu were a thing. Or would be a thing. I know it's not really related, but I guess I wanted to tell you."

Kaori's words shock you.

Yes, you've been mistaken for his girlfriend multiple times - you don't quite mind that, you've realised over the years. But Kaori, a close friend of both you and Yuzuru saying that she too thought that you two would be... something? You're stunned.

And that fact that you don't quite mind Kaori thinking that you two were (or could) be a thing is somewhat terrifying.

You've been stuck in this... loop, of deciding whether to be in denial or not when it comes to your feelings for Yuzuru. You've suppressed your feelings over the years, in hopes that they'll just disappear - because you've always thought that you'd have no chance.

It was bound to happen, at this point - how could you not feel something for him?

But you have always brushed your feelings aside - Yuzuru seems to be too busy for love. Competitions after competitions, and just more training day by day, you are well aware that his number one priority is skating.

"Oh. Um... I see." you mumble, and Kaori doesn't miss the way the tip of your ears turn red.

A small smirk makes its way to her lips, and she takes another sip of the bubble tea. "I don't know. You two just seem... perfect for one another."

"He's busy." you say. It's the one thing you can say without making it super obvious that you have some sort of feeling towards your best friend.

"Is he?" Kaori questions.

"Skating. It's his number one priority. He doesn't seem to have time for... love."

The truth is, Yuzuru has time for love. But you don't know that. The time for love that he has is spent waiting for you.

Yet, you somehow don't seem to realise.