𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍: wrong answers

Yuzuru walks into the rink today happily, with you by his side. It's the first practice at the Olympic rink, and he's excited - even if his ankle's hurting.

You wave at some of the skaters practicing, knowing them already because of Yuzuru - to be fair, he'd really say that sometimes you were closer to a couple skaters that he had actually known first.

"Does your ankle hurt a lot?" you ask as Yuzuru laces up his skates, and he shakes his head so he won't worry you. It hurts, but it's not too bad - he took some painkillers, and he'd made it his mission to not strain it too much during practice.

"That's good," you hum in response. You straighten your denim jacket, and Yuzuru has to stop himself from staring at you for a little too long - it's like any movement you make, he's absolutely mesmerised.

You're dressed comfortably today, in a pair of jeans and a plain white shirt with a denim jacket over it. There are a couple necklaces hanging from your neck (two that Yuzuru had bought for you.)

You could do nothing and still make his heart flutter - here you are, just standing in front of him, and his heart feels like it's already beating a million miles per hour.

"Be careful, hmm?" you say, before Yuzuru steps onto the rink. He grins at you in response, giving you a thumbs up before skating off. You pull your phone out from your pocket, scrolling through a couple social media apps. Your earphones are connected to your phone, soft music playing through the speakers.

Suddenly, a tap on your shoulder catches your attention.

You turn to meet eyes with Haruto, eyes sparkling and a smile on his lips. Somehow, he looks the tiniest bit more nervous than usual today - but you assume it's just nerves about the Olympics.

"Hey," he says, and you give him a small smile in response. "How's it going?"

"Just watching Yuzu practice," you say. "Are you about to practice?" you question, and Haruto shakes his head - which makes you slightly confused. Why would a skater who's about to compete in the Olympics show up at the Olympic rink to just watch?

"Oh? You're not practicing?"

"No, I'm coming later." he responds.

"Then... is there something you're looking for here?" you ask, tilting your head to the side questionably.

"Uh, yeah - actually, there is." Haruto says, and you nod, motioning for him to continue. "I was looking for you, actually."

You furrow your eyebrows, confused. "Me?"

Haruto nods. His response doesn't eliminate any of your confusion - in fact, you find yourself wondering why he'd be looking for you.

"Uh... why?"

"I just wanted to... um... get this off my chest?" Haruto starts, and you nod, listening intently - you're not quite sure what he's about to say, and you can't help but feel the slightest bit scared and anxious about what words may come out of his mouth.

"I... uh... actually really like you."

That is no surprise to you - you already know this. Except you're just quite shocked he would say it this early, considering how in your opinion, you two barely know each other. You're quite flattered, honestly - but you can't help but also wonder why he isn't focusing on practicing for the Olympics.

"It's just like - I've liked you for a while, actually? At first we didn't talk, but I've just always found you pretty whenever I saw you at that rink, and one day I guess I just built up the courage to talk to you and - you're everything I could've imagined and more, if I'm being honest."

You're not quite sure what to say to him. You're thankful that he thinks so highly of you, but you know you're about to have to break his heart - because you don't see him that way.

"And when we had that talk one day about you know... love? You said that if I was looking for answers to love, chances were that I already had them?" Haruto continues, and you nod - what you'd said hadn't been directed to him, but you suppose he'd just interpreted it differently. And of course, you should've clarified - you didn't want to give him any false hope.

"So... yeah. I just wanted to get that off my chest."

After a long pause of you wondering what to say, you finally manage to muster up a few coherent sentences to say to him that you think won't hurt his feelings.

"In all honesty, Haruto - I'm quite flattered that you see me in that way. But... um... I'm afraid that I have to tell you that I don't feel the same way." you say, and you see how the glimmer in his eyes almost instantly disappears.

"It's just... I don't think we know each other well enough - and I... I hold feelings for someone else. And I understand how my words about the whole answers of love thing could be misinterpreted and given you false hope - it was just a general statement, and I'm really sorry if I led you on." you say, biting the inner part of your cheek nervously.

"It's Yuzuru, isn't it?"

"Huh?"

"The person you hold feelings for - it's Yuzuru, isn't it?" Haruto asks, and you avoiding eye contact with him is enough to tell Haruto that his hunch was indeed correct.

"I should've known."

"I'm sorry."

"There's nothing you should be sorry about. The heart wants what it wants, am I right? I'm not happy about it - being rejected and all, but I've got to get over it at the end of the day." Haruto responds.

"Yeah. I'm really sorry, though - you'll find someone someday, I'm sure. It's just that someone won't be me." you press your lips together into a thin line, and Haruto nods.

"Yeah." he says. "Thank you for hearing me out, though."

"And I hope when the day comes where you do say something to Yuzuru, I hope it goes well."

You hope so too.