•Rain me, Love

It was raining hard in Islamabad

It was raining hard in Islamabad. The clouds were roaring and trees were swishing with the wind.

Where the world was silent outside, Kashana house had pans of oil heating up for evening snacks and pakoras. A chaos had erupted in the large kitchen when Sheratoon had given away orders for the snacks and power had went off. Now in the darkened kitchen, platters and pots clanked and clinked.

Her nose had scrunched when she saw the large glass windows in the hallways, open. Her bare feet had led her down the wooden stairs. And her anxious voice had called for Mimi.

Dressed in a peachy pink long chikankari shirt with matching trousers, she glowed in the dim lit house. Her big brown eyes were squinted and brows drawn closer. Her full lips, chapped, were pursued as she called for Mimi again.

" Jee Dulhan bibi?"

Mimi asked as she stood before her heaving.

" Why are the windows still open?"

She got down the last step and walked past an embarrassed Mimi.

" Sorry jee. I'll have them closed right away."

Silah Sarfaraz Khan shook her head and moved towards the windows. With the thunderous wind, the glass flaps fervently swayed against the hinges. Mimi reached to help as well.

Thud, thud, thud.

The rain was gushing and the women had their hands wet in no time. As they pulled the windows close against the resistance. Young Nofil, seeing his mother and Dulhan bibi struggling, came to help as well.

" How many times have I told you to close the windows first hand."

Silah expressed discontent.

" Sorry Dulhan bibi, I was busy with the groceries. It won't happen again."

" It better not Nofil, everyone knows how much I hate the rain."

Silah had said what she had said. But her words felt heavy on the servants hearts as they shared a look before looking at their Dulhan bibi in sorrow.

The hallways went silent when the windows were finally closed. Silah dried her hands in the cocoon of her long dupatta.

" I'll get you a towel."

Nofil hurried away.

" I have to go check on Amma begum. Please have this cleaned Mimi."

Silah pointed to the mess, rain had made on the floors. Mimi instantly nodded and Silah walked away.

She turned the corner, seeing the large hall empty and when she walked in more, she saw her family in the garden through the wall length window. In the barely lit hall, she stood by the window looking at her family laughing with gleaming eyes as they enjoyed pouring. She could see the children running around the fountains. She could see her mother in law, Sheratoon talking with her son. She could see Saife uncle smiling. She could see their stressed free selves enjoying the rain after what felt like ages.