•Long distance call-II

Sarfaraz made a call to Altamash, 2 months before his death. They talked briefly before hanging up. It was their last call.

" That's oddly funny."

Sarfaraz chuckled into the phone. Before he sighed and leaned his head against the headrest of his swivel chair.

" I know right."

Altamash spoke. His cigarette fiddling between his two fingers. Sarfaraz's eyes flickered to the clock it was past 12am, he should be home. He should have been home long ago.

" I want to be a child again, Sarfaraz. I want to share the same old secrets and sneak out and I don't want this hard life. It suffocates me."

Altamash let his vulnerability slip. As he stared at the bright sky outside. He had just came out of the office to grab some coffee and a quick fix of smoke.

" Hmm, I wish the same sometimes. And by the way talking about secret. I have to tell you something.."

Sarfaraz paused hearing the shuffling on the other end.

" Yeah. Wait a second, the connection here is shitty."

Altamash grumbled as he walked back inside the glass building.

" Better now?"

Sarfaraz asked silently hearing the line clear out of disturbance.

" Yeah!"

He threw away his cigarette and walked towards the nearest bench.

" Yeah so I was saying-"

" Spit it out already."

Altamash chuckled sensing the man's nervousness. Whilst Sarfaraz closed his eyes.

" Silah thought I was a weak man, but I am not as weak as she thought. I did not cheat on her. Yes I've been a horrible person but I am not a cheater."

The small confession made Altamash draw his eyebrows together. He didn't know what to say. So he remained silent.

" But that wasn't what I want to tell.."

He sighed loudly.

" I am listening, Sarfaraz."

Altamash stated firmly as he looked at the marbled floor beneath his expensive shoes.

" I think I am falling for Silah."

Altamash visibly flinched as the man muttered softly afraid that the words would seep out of the walls and reach to Silah before he could.

" I think, I think and I cannot stop thinking, uff Altamash!"

The man stared ahead in the darkness as he spoke into the phone. His eyes wrinkling as he grinned.

" Yeah that's what I wanted to say, Altamash."

The man breathed deeply hearing his cousin utter a bare hm hmm.

And then the line went dead. Altamash hung up so fast that he didn't even comprehend his actions until the blank screen stared at him. His breaths shallowed before he slid his thumb across the screen and then reached to the contacts on his phone. His thumb hovering over Sarfaraz's contact for a moment longer. His heart raced. But he did what he needed to do. And so he slid the contact to delete.

Sarfaraz didn't need him anymore now.

Whilst in the cold night of Islamabad, Sarfaraz smiled to himself, happy that he was finally able to accept his own feelings and understand them. The call line going dead didn't bother him. He knew his friend was a busy man.

And it was okay!

-
Author's note:

Because I've read so many comments regarding this so I feel like I should address this once,

Sarfaraz told Silah about his affair at the wedding night. And afterwards it was Silah that gave him the permission to cheat, he didn't go behind her back first. She herself gave him the permission because she had given up hope in finding love with Sarfaraz. And it is mentioned in the earlier chapters.

You guys know all of this, right? I just wanted to clarify it again before we reveal everything together.