•A sliver of hope, Love

Silah

Silah

It was right after sunset that I took the turn on our street. Thick clouds had loomed over the horizon of Islamabad and a storm was brewing. The light pattering of the rain followed me as I left the boarding school. The guard opened the huge metal gates almost immediately and I drove in the driveway.

A sense of panic settled in my heart seeing Hunzalah and Kunwar at the patio.

Turning off the ignition, I inhaled in a large breath. On my way back, I had gone to the salon and gotten everyone's appointments done. Just in case mama suspected something, nonetheless the work needed to be done one day or another. Looking over my reflection, I ran a hand past my hair and looked at my puffy eyes.

My gaze ran over the men seeing their worried glances fixed over me now. I unbuckled the seatbelt and got out. Grabbing my purse and the McDonald's takeaway and leftover bags with me.

" Silah, where were you? You were gone for so long."

Hunzalah asked frowning as he looked at me. His words heavily laced with worry.

How do I tell you Hunzalah that after leaving the boarding school, I spent a lot of time reflecting on my life and crying my heart out. How do I tell you, how I managed to drive up to the drive thru line of McDonald's and grabbed myself a bite. And how I cried throughout the meal. How do I tell how my throat clogged up everytime I tried to swallow. How do I tell the truth? Because all you ever know is a lie.

" I went to the Salon. I told mama."

" Yeah but you weren't even picking up your phone.."

I rummaged through my purse and retracted my phone, holding it up.

" Sorry, the battery died."

He nodded his head. My eyes moved onto Kunwar as he spoke, scratching his neck.

" Altamash has gone to look for you. We thought your car broke down or something."

I internally hissed.

" You probably should inform him that I am home now."

I felt so nervous now.

The man nodded already dialing a number but the guard behind us opened the gates again and Altamash rolled in the car. I watched as he aggressively unbuckled his seatbelt, I swear the seatbelt would have protested. He got down the car, his heavy glare fixed on me as he strode towards the patio.

I turned towards Hunzalah and Kunwar.

" I brought you all some burgers and spicy fried chicken."

The men gleamed as I handed over the parcel bag to them.

" We'll see you two inside."

Kunwar said as soon as he noticed a sneering Altamash and rushed in with Hunzalah.