•Bruised forgiveness, Love

Present

Present

The bedroom door burst open harshly. Silah's eyes widened in panic before she shot up in bed. Her long open hair curtaining around her face as she hastily pulled her dupatta over her shoulders.

" Sarfaraz! Sarfaraz!"

Her mother in law's panicked voice sounded through the room, echoing all around and Silah's heartbeats picked up. Her heavily sleepy eyelids slitted as she pushed the comforter off her.

" Mama."

" Silah."

Sheratoon gasped as she made her way towards the bed, barefoot.

" Oh Silah."

She cried. Silah's breath hitched as she rubbed Sheratoon's arm once the woman was seated besides her.

" My Sarfaraz, Silah. My son."

She cried, burying her face in her palms. And Silah furrowed her eyebrows in worry. She was confused and in so much worry. She couldn't understand a word as Sheratoon spoke incomprehensibly.

" Mama, please don't cry."

She felt the panic rising within her, her lungs suffocating with her harsh breaths. Her heartbeats were erratic, ringing loudly in her ears.

" Sarfaraz-"

" Did you see a dream about him again?"

Sheratoon nodded. Her eyes filled with tears as she pulled her lips in a thin line.

Silah closed her eyes tightly and gulped. She opened her brown eyes and ran them over her mother in law. The woman had quietened and was staring at the wall opposite from her. The room was doused in darkness, the thick curtains preventing the sun rays from seeping in.

" Silah.."

She hummed. Her heart saying all the prayers she knew for her deceased husband.

" My Sarfaraz, my son. He was happy. He was so happy. He.. he had a bouquet of white flowers in his hands. He was smiling."

Silah closed her eyes tightly. Pinching her eyelids so hard that she felt her eye muscles protest.

Sheratoon turned towards her and slowly looked at her.

" But.. but he was asking for your forgiveness, Silah. He was asking for you to forgive him. Why was he asking for your forgiveness, Silah? Why?"

Sheratoon held her hands as she asked Silah. Her eyes looking at her closely and Silah lowered her face. Her eyes returning to her lap and her body trembled.

" He was saying sorry to you, Silah, why? Why you, Silah? He didn't say anything about me. He kept talking of you, why?"

Silah silently muffled a sob. Her tears streaming down her face.