CHAPTER 52

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

Under compartment 306 faint lights, Melo, Finnick and Angel watched as people entered the bunker. After five long minutes, Annie walked in with the rest of the crowd, looking frenetically for any sight of her wife or family.

"Annie," Angel muttered, walking to the entrance of their cavern to motion her wife to approach them.

Annie, with her tangled brown hair and worried eyes, practically ran in their direction. "I went to look for you, but they said you had already come down here." She said. Her voice trembled as she hugged Angel.

"I'm so sorry, honey. I thought you were in their compartment, so I went to get you and the rest of the things. When I saw you weren't there, I came down immediately. From now on, I promise I will be more careful. Angel replied, kissing Annie, which always seemed to calm her down.

"You don't have to worry about her, Annie. We're talking about an Ogilvy after all. They don't die so easily." Rhett commented, entering the space with his husband and exchanging places with the two younger boys. Melo and Finnick sat on the floor while the couple sat on the bed.

"Sorry for taking so long to come here. We had to follow the Bunker Protocol paper before doing anything." Theo added, resting his head on Rhett's shoulder as everyone watched outside again. Every minute that passed, fewer people entered, causing their anxiety to grow. Mags walked inside with the help of Muscida and a young boy, finding their way to the caver quite quickly.

"Where are Ron and Librae?" Muscida questioned, making sure Mags sat comfortably on Theo's right side, which was closest to the wall.

"I don't know. Mum told me to come down first. She said she would be here in no time, but it seems they won't be waiting too long to close those doors." Angel muttered, her eyes landing again on the heavy metal doors that would close the bunker at any minute.

As if they had heard her, the two people in charge of closing those same doors did their job. Angel and Melo shot up from their seats, running to the door while asking them to stop. They weren't the only ones as Katniss Everdeen joined them, putting herself between the doors, so they couldn't close them.

Angel squeezed her body next to Katniss', making the guards widen the crack. Primrose Everdeen, Katniss' sister, Gale, her mother and Ron run inside. They were out of breath, mostly the Victors than the young teens. Immediately, Katniss and Angel left the door, letting the guards close it right away.

"Don't do that ever again," Melo whispered, hugging his older sister as they stared at their mother and Ron. "What happened? How come you're so late?"

"I saw Primrose going back to her compartment. She was going for the cat. I offered to go look for it myself, but she insisted on ongoing. I couldn't leave her alone, so I went with her. That's where Gale and your mother saw us and joined in," Ron explained, waving goodbye to Katniss and her sister as he and Librae followed their children to their compartment, where Johanna had taken Melo's seat, right next to Finnick.

"Hi, Johanna. You OK?" Melo asked, sitting right beside her as they both watched Finnick not raising his eyes from Dove's songbook.

"Oh yeah, perfect. Did you know that living in a bunker was my dream since I was a brat?" Johanna muttered sarcastically, rubbing her hands on her legs to get the cold sweat off.

Melo noticed the motion and got her right hand with his, trying to calm her down just as all the sirens suddenly stopped. Coin's voice echoed around the place right after. She congratulated everyone for an exemplary evacuation of the upper levels. She remarked it was not a drill, as Peeta Mellark and Dove Ogilvy had possibly made a televised reference to an attack on Thirteen that same night. At that exact moment, the first bomb hit, shaking the ground of the bunker, although no cracks appeared.