Side Story 1: Kuroko's Birthday (1)

January 31st. 

It was a very important day. It was the day the invisible man became visible. The day the forgotten, became the remembered.

Okay, we're getting a little off track here.

The point is; it was Kuroko Tetsuya's birthday and Seirin was planning a party at Kagami's house. Since Kagami just so happened to be the only person in high school who lived alone, naturally, his apartment was the first and best option to host the party.

After confirming a few days prior to the arrangements, Kagami and a couple of the Seirin members were setting up the decorations around Kagami's living room. Thankfully, the simpleton ace was actually a rather clean simpleton so there was no need to tidy the living room before applying the decor.

Kagami had made a special call to his brother to help him out with the food preparation. The of asking Yui did cross his mind but he remembered she was with the other miracles today playing basketball with the birthday boy.

"Ne, remind me again why we didn't ask coach to come early," Furihata said whilst he blew up the balloons.

Hyuga replied, "Because she would insist on helping out with the cooking. After what happened last time, I don't think we should risk another disaster."

At the reminder of that day, the group of teens shivered involuntarily.

Kagami made sure to hide any and all protein nutrients whenever the team decided to come over. 

On the floor, Hyuga sat cross-legged and fiercely cut some paper. When he was finished, he opened up his creation and grinned. From behind him, Kagami praised it.

"Wow, that's amazing captain!"

"Heh, it was nothing."

The doorbell to the apartment suddenly rang and Kagami quickly hurried to open the door. He came face to face with his pseudo brother holding a plastic.

"Yo Taiga," greeted the ikemen.

Kagami's lips turned into a smile, "Ah Tatsuya. What happened? You're late."

"It was your fault. Your drawing was terrible. Luckily I had some help," Tatsuya said. From behind him, another good-looking face popped out.

"Yo, Kagami!" Takao grinned.

"Takao!" Kagami gaped. "What--"

"Since he's already here, why don't you let him stay?" Tatsuya suggested. "He can help out."

"Uh...sure," Kagami stepped aside to let them in. 

Takao thanked him and took off his shoes before walking into the living and greeting the other Seirin members. Tatsuya followed Kagami to the kitchen.

"Where's Yui-san? I thought she'd be here today," Tatsuya shook off his jacket and grabbed one of Kagami's spare aprons before placing it on.

"She's with her brother and the others," Kagami replied handing him a bottle of oil.

"Ah yes. Atsushi did mention something about a reunion," Himuro extravagantly poured the oil on a pan. "He didn't show it but I think he was pretty happy to play with them again."

Kagami thought of the giant's lazy expression and doubted Himuro's words. He was probably just happy to see his sister again.

Murasakibara...was a confusing character and someone whom Kagami would never figure out. The fact that he was dating the guy's adoptive sister was a miracle in itself, especially with how protective the giant is over her.

A scene from a month ago crossed his mind and Kagami shuddered unconsciously.

Yeah...he'd rather not re-live that night.

------

Location: Random Basketball Court some blocks away from Kagami's apartment building.

"Dammit Ryouta! Pass the damn ball!" a loud voice growled.

"It's not my fault! Midorimacchi would've stolen the ball if I did!" another voice defended. 

"Tch."

As the two voices bickered, the others around the court sighed in unison at their idiocy. On the bench, two girls face-palmed.

"They never change do they?" a girl with soft pink hair muttered. Though her expression was that of exhaustion, her words carried amusement and nostalgia.

"Indeed. But, it's a good thing right?" the second girl hummed. "At least they still get along despite everything that happened."

Momoi nodded her head in agreement, "That is true. As a student of Touou, it pains me to admit that Seirin was the main reason they changed. Thanks to Kuroko-kun and Kagami-kun who defeated them, they finally changed for the better."

"I'm happy for them too. It was...difficult to watch as they broke apart," Yui said. She leaned against the fence and brushed a strand of brown hair away from her face. "I suppose the light and shadow duo really were their saviors in a way."

"Pfft, don't let them hear you say that," Momoi chuckled.

As the two girls chatted, the boys on the court were onto their fourth game with Akashi winning every one. As for Kuroko, well, he was having the time of his life. More than anything, he'd yearned for a time like this to come again. He more than anyone missed how he and his friends were when they first joined the Teiko team.

Momoi's gift to him was nothing short of amazing.

As for the pink-haired girl, she was delighted when everyone showed up. She, like Kuroko, missed those happy days in the Teiko basketball club. And Yui was here too so their group was complete once again.

Thinking back to those days, a stray tear fell out of her eye and she wiped it away hastily before anyone noticed. 

Suddenly, a ball rolled up to her feet and a pair of shoes appeared in her vision. Looking up, she came face-to-face with a kind-faced Akashi.

"Akashi-kun?"

The boy who'd now reverted back to his old self, smiled at the two girls and said, "Why don't you two join us instead of sitting here watching?"

"Huh?"

The girls looked behind the boy to see the other miracles looking at them with small smiles of encouragement. Momoi's face lit up as she scooped up the ball and ran toward the others. As for Yui, the non-athletic couch potato, she hesitantly followed after.

"Um, I don't know how to...er...play," she scratched her head awkwardly. "And I have pretty bad aim."

Kise threw an arm around her and said, "Don't worry Yui-cchi! We'll teach you!"

"Kisechin..."

Kise quickly withdrew his arm for the short girl and backed away from the glaring giant.

"J-Jeez Murasakibaracchi, it's not like I'm harassing her!" he exclaimed.

"Hmph," Murasakibara huffed. 

He made his way over to Yui and tugged her hand towards the other side of the court.

"I'll teach you to play. It's easy."

'It's really not' was what Yui wanted to say.

"Just throw the ball in."

'...'

'I'm not athletically tuned like you, you monster! I'm normal!'

"Or just dunk it in."

'This useless piece of sh--'