A Kiss

We sat in John's room and talked for a while before he decided I should go home. His dad worked till 6 so we still had plenty of time, but after the afternoons excitement he didn't want to take a chance.

"What are you going to tell your parents about your face?" he asked with a scowl.

This was an easy one for me, "I'll say I ran into a corner of a wall. I hate to admit this, but I actually do that semi-often and get bruises all over. I'm so focused on other stuff I forget where I'm going and run into things. My parents will buy it without question."

"You have all the luck," John shook his head.

He walked me to my car, "You can find your way home, right?"

"No problem! I'm good with directions."

John shoved his hand in his pockets, shuffling his feet, "Laura, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, you know I'm open for anything." I said wondering what else he wanted to know.

"Will you be my girlfriend? Officially, I mean." John wouldn't look me in the eye as he spoke.

My heart swelled and I bit back a happy yelp, "YES! I'd love to be your girlfriend." I rushed out.

John looked up from the ground and his eyes shone. A tenderness glowed there as he took my face in his hands. I knew he wanted to kiss me. Truthfully, I wanted the kiss as bad as he did. Looking up at him I gave him the tiniest nod to give him permission. Surprise and happiness removed any last hints of the angry young man I knew.

He leaned down, hesitating a fraction of a second before placing his warm lips on mine. It was a slow searching kiss that set off fireworks inside of me. One hand slid down my back while the other wound through my hair pulling me into him. Our kiss deepened, as our inhibitions broke down. John's lips wandered over my face down to my neck, gently nipping me sending shivers down my spine. He continued to kiss my neck before pulling away staring at me hungrily.

"I might have to marry you. I'd do just about anything for a kiss like that everyday." John said.

My brain was addled, that kiss had been a drug, but his words still surprised me, "How about we graduate high school before we make any plans?"

"I'm going to keep dreaming." John said looking like he wanted to kiss me again. "You're an incredible girl."

"That's a lot to live up to," I said, "I'm not exactly perfect."

John took my hand, kissed it and growled, "I don't want a perfect girlfriend. I want you."

His words touched a part of me deep down that no one else had access to. I hadn't known I needed them until he spoke them. John was dead serious too. I could see it in the way he leaned toward me, in the way he held my hand, and in the way his eyes followed my every movement.

My heart felt like it could burst, "Thank you." I whispered. It was all I could get out.

"You're welcome," John said kissing my hand again. "Now get out of here before my dad shows up."

Feeling breathless I pulled away from him and got into my car. John stood in the driveway watching me as I backed up and drove away. I jammed a cassette into the player and cranked it up singing wildly for the few miles it took to get home. Jubilant is the best word I can describe the way I felt. I'm pretty sure my parents suspected I'd had a wild afternoon, but thankfully they didn't pry.

I desperately wanted to tell someone, but I wasn't quite ready to share with my parents so instead I called Allison. Turns out she had Andrew over and I ended up spilling the whole story to both of them. Andrew couldn't believe I kissed John, but Allison just laughed and told me to keep making him work for his kisses. Neither were surprised about Brock attacking me, but they were impressed that I carried a switchblade. We talked over an hour before saying goodbye. For the first time I felt like I had real friends who cared about me. I'd had friends before, but I never got close to people. Being close meant having to be accountable. My previous escapades usually made accountability uncomfortable.

The next morning at school Allison beat John getting to me. She was practically a different person from the strange silent girl in detention. She hugged me, grinning like a maniac and told me that after our phone call she and Andrew had made out for practically half the night. To top it off Andrew had asked her to go to the winter formal.

"We should go as a double date," Allison said. "I've never been to a dance before and I might die if I don't know anyone else except Andrew."

I laughed, "Allison you know lots of people. Way more than I do."

"They're not my friends though. Not like you." Allison sighed.

I shrugged, "I appreciate that. But I'm not really a dance person. Besides, John would have to ask me and I'm pretty sure he would rather run naked through school than go to the dance."

We both burst into a fit of giggles because just as I said this we saw John walking toward us.

Allison grinned, "What if I drop hints to Bender that you want to go?"

"But I don't!" I protested.

"Too late!" Allison singsonged as she sashayed up to John. "Hey, Bender, guess what? Andrew asked me to the formal."

John gave her a wicked smile, "Finally grew some balls huh?"

Allison sassed back, "At least he has a date. I haven't heard you asking anyone."

John looked from her to me and said, "Laura, want to go to the winter formal with me?"

I shot a death glare at Allison before replying, "Maybe, but you can't ask me like this in the parking lot."

"Why does everything have to be a production with you?" John grumbled clearly annoyed.

Allison and I both laughed as I answered, "Because I'm not perfect, remember?"

John threw his hands up, "Women!" he said a few other choice words but still kissed my neck and grabbed my hand pulling me toward the school.