Threats

School came too quickly for me. My mind was buzzing with a thousand things from John's words to what to do with Claire. I had settled on two ideas to give her as a test to see if she was marginally serious. I didn't think she would actually follow through, but sparring with her would give me a rush. John had not budged in his stance that I should forget the whole thing, but he didn't chew me out again either.

    I marched down the hallway to Claire's locker where she was surrounded by a dozen cute boys, the who's who of the school all fawning over her. She held court like the Queen she was looking perfectly manicured in a cream colored jacket over a red blouse and red pinstripe skirt with kitten heels. The boys parted before me leaving me in the center of the circle. Normally, this would be a deadly position for a highschooler, surrounding yourself with sharks could be fatal. For me, it put me in a position of power. I made eye contact with every guy there before letting my gaze fall to Claire.

    "I've got some ideas for you," I said with my characteristic cold tone. "I'll share them at lunch."

    I turned on my heel before she could answer and again parted the popular crowd. I knew they would be dying to know exactly what I meant by that. The whole thing had gone off perfectly. Publicity was key for keeping Claire in line if she was going to try to backstab me. Besides if she really wanted to change, it would have to be in front of everyone.

    Classes flew by and I gathered my bag for lunch. I made sure to let Claire get her food and sit down before I did. She always sat at the popular table with her socialite friends, and I again wanted to make sure I made an entry. Taking my tray, I paused and perused the lunchroom. It was chaos as usual, but nothing terribly exciting was happening. Allowing myself a small smile I stalked over to Claire's table and set down my tray on the end.

    No one told me to get lost, but neither did they welcome me. I got some side eye glares and some looks of curiosity but was largely ignored. I proceeded to eat my lunch not looking at Claire or anyone else, simply focusing on my food. I knew I could call Claire too me, but I figured this needed to be done in baby steps. Soon the popular kids began to stand up and take their trays away. When this happened, Claire scooted down the table till she was sitting across from me.

    "Do you have to be so public?" she asked with a weary sigh.

    "I don't have to help you," I said with a noncommittal shrug.

    Groaning she replied, "Fine. What are your ideas?"

    Keeping my face neutral I answered, "One, you need to join an academic club of some kind. You're good at literature and language so either of those clubs would be a good fit for you."

    Claire pursed her lips and her eyebrows pinched together, "Okay...I think that's actually a good place to start. At least I don't think I would hate it. What else?"

    "Two, you need a date for the Winter formal," I said.

    Claire cocked her head and looked at me like I'd said something bizarre, "Of course I'm going to have a date for the formal," she paused for a moment and paled. "Wait, who? Who am I going with? Did you ask them already?" panic laced her words.

    I allowed myself a tiny wolfish grin, "No, I haven't asked anyone for you. You're going to ask Brian."

    "WHAT!" Claire nearly exploded. "I can't do that."

    "You said you wanted to do something totally unexpected and out of character. Ask Brian out. You already know he's not a jerk since you spent detention with him. He's perfect," I said biting my tongue to keep my dark glee in check.

    Claire flushed six shades of red as she frowned at me, "I am not asking Brian to the formal."

    "Yes, you will," I said coldly. "Otherwise, I'm out."

    Huffing loudly Claire glared at me, "I could ruin you without trying."

    I filled myself with ice and replied bluntly, "You would fail."

    Claire recoiled from my sharpness, "I can't believe I have to put up with this.." she complained.

    "Ask Brian," I stated.

    Sweeping up her tray, Claire stood up, "Fine. I seriously can't believe this. I'll ask Brian. At least he's not ugly."

    I nodded, keeping my glee safely tucked away inside of me, "Better do it soon."

    This earned me a massive eyeroll, "Does tomorrow work?" she said sarcastically.

    "Perfect," I answered knowing I was walking the line.

    Claire turned on her heel and stalked off leaving me with a massive adrenaline high. I let a feral smile be the only sign of my internal giddiness. I could barely sit still through the rest of my classes and enjoyed every moment Claire glared at me from across the room. When school was over, I rocketed out the door and drove home with reckless glee.

    John was on the couch when I came dancing in the house.

    He swore loudly when he saw me prompting me to laugh, "Is that how you welcome your girlfriend?"

    "It is when she's high as a kite," John scowled and stuck his tongue out at me.

    "I'm not high," I giggled throwing myself on the couch next to him. "I don't do drugs."

    John tilted his head and gave me his signature bad boy glare, "Spill it, ice queen. What kind of trouble are you getting into?"

    I tried biting my lip, but then the wicked grin I'd kept in escaped, "I told Claire that she has to take Brian to the Winter formal."

    A mix of emotions crossed John's face as he struggled between anger and delight. He started to speak, paused shook his head and then said, "That is a terrible idea. I'm also jealous I didn't think of it."

    "Isn't it?" I said still smiling.

    John reached across and stroked the side of my face with one hand sending a chill down my back, "You scare me. Watch your back, okay?"

    I leaned into his touch, closing my eyes, "I'll be careful."

    When I opened them, John was only inches from my face, studying me intently. He closed the space, pressing his lips against mine with a fierce possessiveness as he cradled my face. I was caught off guard by his passion but was quickly swept up in it.

    "Will you come to the formal with me?" John asked when we broke apart hearts pounding.

    I cocked my head staring hard at him, "Are you serious?"

    "Dead serious," he said softly.

    My brain spun for a moment trying to process, "But I was planning on skimming the tickets," I said. "And will you be ready for that?"

    Big brown eyes bored into mine, "Let me take you. I'll be fine by then. Besides you shouldn't have too many schemes running all at once. You're gonna give me a heart attack."

    "But I'll have to buy a dress..." I complained.

    "Payback for making me worry," Bender said kissing my cheek.

    I couldn't stand it under the intensity of his gaze and dropped my eyes, "Alright, I'll go."

    John beamed at me, "Good. Then I will have something to look forward too instead of worrying about you."