The Hospital

"Bender's in the hospital," the words rang hollow inside of me. My heart plummeted and my skin felt clammy. Worry clawed at my stomach causing me to choke on my words as I struggled to hold back my fear.

"What happened?" I asked as goosebumps made me shiver. "How bad is he?"

Andrew looked as sick as I felt, "He was hit by a drunk driver. Guy didn't even see him, hit Bender and kept driving. Ended up hitting a tree about a block away."

"How bad is he, Andrew?" I ground out again as my pulse skittered.

"I don't know," Andrew said looking miserable, "The cops found him when they came for the drunk."

I took a shaky breath and let it out. My imagination was running wild with all sorts of horrible possibilities.

"I'm going to the hospital. I have to know if he's okay." I said fighting back the nausea I felt.

Andrew nodded, "I kinda figured you would. I'll cover for you here as best as I can."

"Thanks," I said and gave him a quick hug.

"Bender's tough, I'm sure he's fine," Andrew said trying to comfort me.

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm sure you're right." But I didn't believe either of us. John got hit by a car for crying out loud!

I turned from Andrew and speed walked to the front door, trying not to draw too much attention to myself. As soon as I got outside, I raced to my car. I pulled out of the school and broke every speed limit to get to the hospital. I'd never been there before and I ground my teeth in frustration as I drove around the building trying to find the entrance.

Eventually I figured out the correct door and beelined for the front desk. Thankfully the nurses were kind and directed me to John's room. I was relieved to hear that he was in a room. He must not be in too bad of shape if he wasn't in ICU. I frantically paced down the long confusing corridors, counting down the numbers till I reached the room. The door was closed and fear suddenly clutched my heart. What if he was horribly disfigured or had memory loss and didn't recognize me? I clenched my jaw, steeled myself, and opened the door.

John lay pale and alone with his eyes closed in small room. An IV hung from the wall and dripped fluid into his arm and steady beeping rhythm told the world of his heartbeat. A large window took up most of the small wall and sunlight spilled in lighting up the white coverlet covering John and making the room look all the more sterile.

A choked sob escaped me before I realized what was happening. John's eyes flickered open and he turned his head to look at me. Tired relief shone in his eyes and he said, "I knew you'd come."

I flew to his bedside and dropped to my knees next to him, holding back the tears that threatened to engulf me. I wanted to throw myself on him, but I was afraid to touch him. John reached out a hand and laid it on my face.

"Damn, you're beautiful." He said with a smile that changed to a scowl of pain. "I told that $%#& nurse you'd come, but she wouldn't believe me. What took you so long? I've been trying to call you since last night and I didn't know your home phone."

My hand flew to my mouth, "I bet I didn't get the phone back on the hook all they way! I'm SO sorry!"

John stroked my hair, "I figured as much, but the high and mighty powers that be, thought I was making it up that I have a girlfriend, much less one to call."

I laughed at his annoyance, smiling at John before anxiety came crashing back, "What happened, John? Andrew said you got hit by a drunk."

John swore a blue streak, "You got that right. The numbskull didn't even stop. I've got six busted ribs now and some bruised organs according to the doc. I guess they were worried about my spleen or something so that's why I'm still here."

As he finished speaking the door opened and a nurse walked in carrying a clipboard and a small cup of pills. Surprise made her eyebrows shoot up when she saw her patient was not alone.

"Hey nurse, I told you my girlfriend would come!" John bellowed belligerently, "You wouldn't %@$$$ believe me and now here she is."

"Are you this young man's girlfriend?" the nurse asked looking flustered.

"Yes, ma'am. I feel terrible that he couldn't get a hold of me. My phone was not on the hook all the way so it never rang." I replied.

The nurse bustled over to the small sink and counter trying to overcome her surprise, "Well, I'm certainly glad you are here. He's been asking for you and trying to get ahold of you since last night."

"You thought I was making her up." John said with a contemptuous sniff.

Trying to smooth things over I said, "Look, I'm here now. How can I help?"

"You can help by telling us who his family is," the nurse huffed as she handed the pills to John who glared at her. "He refuses to tell us."

"John!" I berated. "Why won't you give the hospital your information?"

John swallowed the pills and threw the empty plastic cup across the room crossly, "Because what good will it do?"

"Isn't your mother worried about you?" I asked.

John cast a nasty scowl at the nurse before turning back to me, "I can't go home, Laura. If my dad doesn't beat me for the stupidity of getting hit, then my brother will just because I can't fight back. And my mother is always so drunk or stoned she has no clue if I'm home or not." John finished with a few choice words and leaned back against his pillow trying to appear indifferent to his predicament.

His nurse let out a sigh and shook her head, "Why couldn't you have told me that earlier?"

"Cause I'm eighteen and it's none of your business." John growled.

I held up a hand to try to placate the two of them. "Look, I'll call my parents and talk to them. I'm sure you can stay in one of my brothers' rooms until you are recovered. Would that satisfy you nurse?"

The nurse looked thoroughly disgusted, but replied, "Since he is eighteen there really is nothing I can do about where he goes. If you want to take this troublemaker home young lady, then be my guest. He's going to need to rest for at least a week if not two before even trying to resume normal activities. He bruised up his internal organs and if he falls or takes another hit, it very well could kill him."

I gulped back my alarm at her words and turned my eyes back to John to see if her words had any affect on him. Instead of being afraid, he was picking at a seam in the white coverlet and had a sizable amount of thread already wadded in his hand.

With a groan I shook my head and said, "My family will take responsibility for him. Do you have a phone I could use?"

John broke off the string and threw the wad at me saying, "Down the hall at the nurses station they have one."

"He should know," the nurse said wryly. "We've been down there enough times trying to call you."

I shot her an apologetic smile and said to John, "I'll be right back. Everything is going to be fine."

"Everything would have been more fine if you had just answered your stupid phone." He grumbled, "Now get outta here so I can rest."

I smiled and shook my head at his orneriness and headed for the nurse's station.