Commitment

I shouldn't have been sent reeling by his answer, but it still blindsided me. John had made enough comments to me that I knew he was serious about our relationship. I just wasn't sure yet how serious I wanted this to be. Part of me wanted to smack Allison. I wasn't ready to address this yet. I knew that I liked John and cared very deeply for him, but did I love him with a capital L?

Allison was giving me an evil smirk as she watched panic wash over me before I could get a grip on my emotions. She was going to get an earful from me later! Thankfully, Andrew hadn't seemed to notice my momentary meltdown as he said, "Didn't really think you were big on commitment, Bender."

Anger flared in John's eyes and he growled, "And why wouldn't I be?"

Andrew scowled back with a shrug, "Maybe because your track record is less than reliable?"

"That just means I am reliably unreliable," John taunted.

Allison broke in, "Chill out guys, Bender needed someone who was worth it to stick with. Right?"

The tension that had risen in John relaxed at her words, "You got it," his eyes jumped to me, "I needed someone as stubborn as me."

I laughed and winked at him even as my heart still swirled with confusion, "I'm good at stubborn."

"Well, if you do stick it out," Andrew said leaning back and stretching, "I will be the first to congratulate you two. Wouldn't that be great way to get revenge on Vernon?"

All four of us laughed over that. I could just see Vernon's face if he found out I had managed to turn John Bender into an upstanding citizen. It made my brain race with all kinds of ideas of how to show off John's good side.

"Stop that," John said giving me a stink eye. "When you get that look, you're scheming. I get in trouble when you start planning."

Allison cackled with a massive grin on her face, "You two already fight like an old married couple! Common, Andrew we better go and let the old folks figure their lives out."

I shot Allison a death glare that promised she was going to hear about her sneaky matchmaking later. My glare would have melted even Vernon, but Allison kept smiling and pulled Andrew up off the floor heading for the door. I hopped up and followed after them.

"Thanks for coming over today," I said. "Sure made the day go by faster."

"And it wasn't in detention." Andrew said with a shudder.

I let a shiver of my own go through my body, "No Vernon glaring at us."

Allison giggled again, "I think we should play Truth or Dare with the wrestling team."

John had made his way to us and said, "Count me out for that."

"Me too," Andrew added with an eye roll.

Allison smacked Andrew, "You are such a wet blanket. Think of all the dirt you can find out about them."

Andrew was now pulling on his shoes as he replied, "I'll pass. I know more than I want from the wrestling mat."

Allison pouted, "You two are no fun. You would play with them, Laura, right?"

"Nah, those poor guys are already scared of me. I don't want them to hide when they see me coming," I answered with a grin.

John shook his head, "If people were more scared of you, you'd be running the school with Vernon."

"I am disappointed with all of you," Allison said with a smirk.

Andrew huffed, "Does that mean you don't want to get pizza tomorrow night then?"

Allison yanked open the front door, "That's a totally different topic. Don't change the subject," she walked out the door and waved goodbye, "Thanks for having us!"

Andrew followed behind her, "Thanks!"

I closed the front door and turned back to John who was watching everything with his trademark bad boy smirk plastered on his face.

"That was actually fun," John said wiggling his eyebrows at me.

Letting out a soft groan, I carefully buried my face in chest trying not to jostle his ribs. I was emotionally tired out. I knew John had to be tired too.

He kissed the top of my head, "Come upstairs with me."

I didn't protest, I followed him up the stairs to his room. He sat down gingerly on the bed and I nestled up against up trying to be as gentle as possible.

"Brutal game," John said in a soft voice I was unfamiliar with.

"Uh huh," I managed to get out.

John sighed, "I don't want to pretend I didn't make you uncomfortable. You have every right to be hesitant. Andrew is right, my track record is terrible, I've spent more time smoking weed than trying to get a job, and I enjoy illegal activities."

I didn't say anything. I wasn't sure what to say. My head and heart didn't know what to think yet and I wasn't sure how long it would take for me to figure out what I really wanted.

John put his arm around me, "I'm trying to straighten myself out. As much as I know you have a big heart, I also know you can't be saddled with a loser. I had just started applying to mechanic schools when the accident happened. Once I'm healed up I'm hoping to get job at the junkyard where I get the parts for my motorcycle. They asked me before, but I turned them down. Now I've got a reason to work. Trouble might be fun, but it doesn't put food on the table. I wouldn't expect you to take me seriously if I didn't have at least some kind of plan."

Of all the things John Bender could have told me this was the biggest shock I could have imagined. I sat stunned at his words. When my brain started functioning again, I couldn't stop the tears that started to slide down my cheeks.

"Wow...I had no idea," I sniffed.

John pulled me in closer, "I can keep a few secrets when I need to. Please, please don't feel pressured by Allison and I. Am I dead set on asking you to marry me? Yes, but I also need to show you I'm serious and worth it. You've helped me a lot to change already, but I need to do more. I don't expect you to be even close to ready to give an answer, let alone know how you feel about this until you have seen me stick to my word."

The tears came faster now as I shook my head in disbelief, "How did you know? How did you know I had questions about all of that?"

"I'm smarter than I look, remember?" John said with a hint of his old self showing through. "Plus, I would have to be a real #@!% idiot to think you would jump into a relationship with me if you expected me to be a bum my whole life."

'You're not a bum," I grumbled.

"Exactly, you have expectations for me. I can either meet them or fail and eventually lose you. I'm not going to lose you. You have pushed me when everyone else was afraid to. I intend to do something with that gift," John said in the soft tone again.

My breath hitched. Blood roared in my ears. I was overwhelmed, everything I had been hoping for John he was saying. Did that mean he would actually go through with it? He seemed serious, but he was right that I would have to wait and see.

Biting my lip, I let a hiccupy sigh out, "I can't believe you are actually saying all of this, but I had hoped for it for a long time. You're right, I am going to have to wait and see though. I have to say though, that I'm pretty excited to see what you're going to do with yourself."

John nuzzled into my hair and kissed me lightly on the cheek, "I can't wait to make you proud."

A laugh welled up inside of me, "I already am."