Friends

My heart was swollen with confusion. John's embrace comforted and burned me all at the same time. I could literally feel the hurt radiating from him, mirroring mine. He gave a heavy sigh and nuzzled into my hair.

John swore and said, "I can't believe you're letting me hold you."

My heart twisted, "I did make a promise."

"And I warned you about me," John said in a hoarse voice.

I let a few long seconds pass by before responding in a small voice, "You really hurt me."

A shudder passed through John, "I know. I wish I could change that."

Rallying my feelings I said, "I'm sorry too though, I really hurt you. You're not the only one who messed up."

"It was stupid. You don't need to apologize. I'm the idiot who was ungrateful." John quickly covered for me.

"No. Don't try to justify. You were exactly right when you confronted me. I didn't respect your wishes and I didn't trust you enough to tell you about it or even get your approval." I said feeling a fresh round of tears on my cheeks. "I've been on my own for a long time when it comes to mischief, and I didn't think about how it could affect you."

It was John's turn to be quiet as he processed my words before he replied, "You're the first person who has ever admitted responsibility in a fight with me. You could have let me take all the blame."

"Well, I guess I'm different then," I sniffed.

John gently wiped a tear from my cheek and cradled my face in his hand, "You're a very good different."

This brought up even more tears and I sniffed again deciding to lay truths out to John the way he had been doing for me, "I appreciate that. You probably already have figured this out, but I don't really have friends. I've moved around too much and been a loner since 4th grade. I was always the smartest kid in my classes, but not as smart as my brothers. I'd get in trouble for working ahead or coming up with crazy ideas in school neither of which made making friends easier." I sighed and continued, "John, you, Allison and Andrew have been the closest friends I've had in years. But friendship requires accountability. I'm fine with my parents, but I'm pretty out of practice with other people."

John gave a small snort, "And here I walk into your life, the criminal, and you decide to make friends with me."

I smirked, "I'm weird, remember?"

"You are weird," John let out a small laugh, "I think we both have some trust issues to work, though. I need to let things go and you need to give up control."

I winced and nodded, "I think it's safe to say that's a tough one for me."

"Then I guess we are good for each other, right? We push each other." John said quirking his mouth in a half smile.

I scrunched my nose and said, "We definitely push each other."

John tilted his head, "I mean it. I think we are honestly good for each other. You help me let stuff go by not egging me on or being stupid and cliquey. I help you get out of your comfort zone and give up some of that crazy control you like to hang on to."

I thought about this for a moment. He had an excellent point. "I never thought of it that way, John, but I think you're right. We really can help each other. The problem is we are also tough and it could turn into a nasty fight like this."

John set his jaw, looked hard at me and swore, "Tonight I thought I was going to lose you. You might be the best thing that's ever happened to me and I wasn't going to just let you go without at least trying to get you back. Don't quit on me now!

Shame filled me and I hung my head and mumbled, "I'm sorry."

Taking my chin, John brought it back up so I was looking at him, "No more apologies. You've got more guts than anyone else I know, but that doesn't make you invincible. You got hurt and now you're cautious. That's okay, but don't give up."

Warmth began to push away the shame at his words, "I knew you were smart when I first saw you John and you keep proving me right."

"Brilliant and good looking are compliments I will take any day," John winked at me. "But I think I could say the same about you."

I felt heat creep up my cheeks as John gave me his trademark grin. He asked, "Let's call things even, ice queen. Besides even as mad as I was, I'm still dying to know how the $%%# you got Vernon to let me out of detention."

I laughed and it felt wonderful, "Well why don't I show you??" I said pulling away from him and picking up the tape recorder that sat on my desk.

"No. Bloody. Way." John said shaking his head with a huge sassy smile.

I matched his smile and hit play on the recorder. We sat and listened to the conversation I had recorded in the principle's office. John was in stitches by the time the recording was finished.

"That was the greatest conversation I think I've ever heard." He said looking like the Cheshire Cat.