Heartbroke

John avoided me all day at school. Completely blew me off. And did the same on Friday. I had to lie to my parents and say that he wasn't feeling well and couldn't make dinner that night. Saturday rolled around and I decided to go out with Allison, Andrew and the wrestling jocks to a pizza joint. I hadn't told them yet about the fight in the parking lot, but I'm sure they knew something was up.

I'd had three and half Cokes and my bladder was about to explode. We had been laughing and having a great time and I was afraid I'd pee my pants if someone cracked another joke so I hurried off to the ladies room. When I came out of the bathroom, I happened to glance over to a corner booth and was horrified by what I saw.

John was cuddled up next to a voluptuous blonde who happened to wrap an arm around him, grab his face, and start kissing him right as he and I made eye contact. I saw the shock in his eyes of seeing me, but I didn't stick around to see anymore. I bit my lip hard as I began to feel the sting of tears. I took off through the restaurant running into people and shoving my way out the door. I was halfway to my car when I heard my name.

"LAURA!" John called out to me in a voice filled with panic.

I didn't stop. I was heartbroken. I knew he was mad, but I hadn't thought he would cheat on me.

"LAURA!" he called again nearly to my car.

I jumped into my car and threw it into drive as fast as I could. I revved the engine and pulled out into the lane. To my anger John jumped out in front of me causing me to slam on the brakes. I put the car in reverse and backed away from him and out of the parking lot nearly clipping another vehicle in the process.

I didn't drive directly home. I raced around town taking the corners with a squeal of tires my lead foot expressing my emotion. My heart hurt so bad I couldn't even cry. Instead, I pounded the steering wheel and screamed out my anger. I had known this could happen. Getting hurt was a distinct possibility when I started spending time with him. What I hadn't counted on was how hard I would fall for him and now I was crushed.

After I had reined in my emotions enough to make it past my parents I came home. I went up to my room, closing the door gently despite the urge to slam it and every other door in the house. As soon as I got the door closed the tears started. A wild sob escaped me and I fell onto my bed pummeling my pillows and calling John every name I could think of. My heart felt like someone had cut it right in two. I couldn't get over his betrayal. I cried great hiccupping sobs into a pillow and cradled it as my anger wore out, leaving me with just the pain.

Suddenly, a voice from my closet made me jump up in shocked surprise.

"Please, please, don't cry, Laura," John said from his hiding place in the closet, "I'm so sorry."

White hot rage shot through me, "What are you doing here? Get out! I never want to see you again!" I hissed as my broken heart reared up in pain.

John stood up and took a hesitant step toward me. His eyes glistened with pain and tears and he swiped at his face before speaking again, "I'm so sorry. Tonight, it wasn't what it looked like. Please, you have to believe me."

"Why should I believe you?" I raged, "Apparently, betrayal goes both ways in this relationship."

I could see my words stung John but he replied, "Because you're the only one who ever has."

His response left me gulping like a fish. I was so hurt and angry with him, yet he still pulled at my heart with his words. Turning my face away I felt fresh tears course down my cheeks.

John took a few more steps until he was standing beside me, "I was really mad at you, Laura, but I wasn't fooling around. I promise. That girl tonight was an old friend of mine. Her boyfriend broke up with her so I took her out to distract both of us. She must have thought I'd take her home tonight because she came on to me, not the other way round."

"You looked pretty happy making out with her," I snarked not knowing what to believe.

"You didn't stick around long enough to see me shove her off me." John said in a soft voice, "Ask anyone at the pizza place if you don't believe me."

Deep down I knew he was telling the truth. He hadn't embellished the story and he was genuinely upset. But how was I ever going to get the image of him kissing another girl out of my head? John eased down next to me on the bed. He ran a hand over his eyes again giving a small sniff.

"I knew this would happen. I warned you that I would break your heart. I shouldn't have gone after you for getting me out of detention and I never should have taken Stacie out tonight. I'm so sorry." John ground out.

He stood up again and began to walk away with pained slowness, "I'm going to miss you." He said so softly I almost missed it.

My broken heart, tore again at his words, "Wait."

I watched him stall and stand in hunched defeat.

My heart ached as I stood up and walked to him. He didn't turn to face me as he heard my steps come up behind him. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his back. He stood tense in my embrace for a long moment before slowly turning and pulling me into him. I cried more as he held me tight. He rested his chin on my head and I could feel a tear or two of his own fall.