Stay With Me

It took several tries for me to reach my parents at their respective jobs. I knew they wouldn't be thrilled with keeping my boyfriend under the same roof as me, but they also would want to help John. They quickly agreed that it was the best place for him to recover, however it would come with rules. In all honesty I agreed with them. Having my parents set rules helped to enforce my own principles.

After talking to my parents, I headed back to John's room with my news. I walked over to John's bed and sat down in a chair next to him, "My parents said that you could stay with us, John. There's going to be some rules to follow, but you are welcome to stay until you are healed."

Opening his eyes John raised an eyebrow, "Rules? Do they really think we can get into that much mischief? I've got six broken ribs and I feel like a truck ran me over, oh wait, a truck really did run me over." he said sarcastically.

I sighed, "I get that, but please just behave yourself."

"I'm always well behaved." John groused.

"Now that is a whopper coming from you," I laughed as I reached out and took his hand.

John closed his eyes but kept a smirk on his face, "You're right, and so are your parents for laying out some rules. You never know what kind of hanky panky I could get into even though I'm busted up." He let a huge smile cross his face even as he kept his eye shut.

"Dream on, John Bender, I've got my own rules to stick to," I said giving his hand a squeeze.

"Well dreaming is all I'm going to be doing for quite a while it seems," John said with a growl. "I'm not going to heal in one night from this. I've broken a rib before, but six is a bit much. It's going to take at least a month for me to feel somewhat normal."

I smiled at him even though he couldn't see me with his eyes closed, "Just think, that means you'll be staying with us up till Christmas, maybe even over the holiday."

"I get the feeling that you really like Christmas," John said opening one eye to glare at me. "Don't tell me you're one of those girls who goes crazy shopping and decorating."

I shrugged and gave him my most innocent look, "Crazy might be a strong word."

John let out a long blue streak of cuss words before saying, "I don't like decorating or shopping."

"Well you don't have to like it. Just tolerate me when I start sprucing up the house or if I make you wear a Santa hat." I said.

"I will NOT wear any stupid hat," John said trying to sit up in bed with a hiss of pain.

Leaning over the bed I took John's chin in my hand and kissed him hard, "You're going to be in my house so you have to put up with whatever I want."

John grabbed my hand with a strength I was surprised he had considering what had happened to him, "Whatever you want, huh? I think I know exactly what you want, ice queen and it has nothing to do with Christmas." He gave me his dirtiest smile and kissed my knuckles sending a shiver down my spine.

I didn't correct him, instead I took a deep breath to steady myself before replying, "And that's why we need rules and consequences."

John laughed, yelped at the pain from his ribs and then eased himself back into the sheets of the bed. He was silent for a moment before saying, "I'm going to marry you."

Now it was my turn to smirk, "We have a ways to go before I hear wedding bells, John."

"One day I'm going to marry you, Laura. I'm going to make something of myself and you're going to be right with me." John spoke in a tone I had never heard from him before. It was full of steel and resolve.

I didn't know what to say so I fumbled out, "Well we will just have to wait and see..."

John didn't seem to mind my bumblings only saying, "You might not believe me now, but I'm serious and one day you'll trust me on it."

My mind whirled at his words as he closed his eyes tight and sighed contentedly cradling my hand in his. I didn't have a response and John didn't seem to expect one. Part of me couldn't imagine marrying John, he was still a weed smoking hoodlum no matter how much I liked him. Could he really change enough to get a good job? Go to college? But wasn't helping him to get his life together what I had wanted to begin with? He certainly had it in him to do well for himself if he chose to, but I had never imagined a scenario where I was beside him as anything more than a co-worker or friend.

Bending forward and laying my head down on the coverlet next to John, I closed my eyes.